HybridZ

HELP! Fuel spilled over my car! *edit: what not to do*

Globerunner513

Ok guys, this is an edited post. What I did was stupid, and I can't believe I didn't realize it.

This is just to show everyone why it is so important to stay by your car when fuel is being pumped.

Basically I went to use the restroom while i was letting the pump fill up my car (counted on the automatic shut off). It didn't shut off, and by the time I came outside, over 10 extra gallons had overflowed over my car.

I was lucky, and got to it quick. I got it cleaned up, and thankfully the station payed for a free car wash. They ended up refunding me $25, and realizing my mistake, I took the deal.

There isn't any damage to my car and its' been almost 4 hours now. I was lucky.

Here are the pictures I took.

S7000732.jpg

S7000733.jpg

S7000737.jpg

S7000734.jpg

S7000738.jpg

ya know what, i think i might be outa luck

I totally forgot it says that you're not supposed to leave the pump un-attended. I cant believe i was that stupid. I've always been super cautious about those sorts of things. Have a fire extinguisher in my car too.

i just went and looked at the car and the paint and all, and there isn't any sign of damage from the gas. It looks like the car wash cleaned it right up.

i hope this is a lesson to everyone not to leave the pump un-attended! Im gonna go back to the station and see if i can sort things out with him.

This post just cries out for the following smart-aleck remark:

"And this is why New Jersey and Oregon won't let you pump your own gas!"

Sorry, man, I had to say it! LOL

Good to hear there was no damage/fire/spontaneous combustion.

"Gasoline, like blood, really spreads out further than you think the quantity spilled should!"

Did you push off to a safe distance and then start the car? 'Poof!'

In CA, the South Coast Air Quality Management District would be all over them for malfunctioning equipment!

They actually have stickers on the pumps with a toll-free number you can call to report malfunctioning equipment.

If that happened down here...you would be in an extortionists heaven! 'I'll not call the AQMD and report this if you guys give me a year's worth of free slim jims and coffee in the morning...'