HybridZ

Anyone working for Schlumberger?

zero

Welcome to the oil patch. The works dirty but the moneys clean. My advice is to still get your EIT and PE. You might never need them but it will help in your advancement through your carrier. You might have a little trouble with the PE as far as having PE sign for your experience with Schlumberger. But once you get into the oil patch there will be a lot of opportunities down the road.

Good Luck

Wil

It was great, and to imagine that I could be running a site like that within a year of going to work is unreal.

:lol:

I'm sure the guys running the equipment may have another idea about who is 'running' the site, but it's always that way! :P

Yes, sitting behind the computer all day is not for some people...

That is for sure!

Besides, where else will I get to manage a crew and be in charge of multi-million dollar equipment within 8-10 months of graduating?

US Army Corps of Engineers. USAF. US Navy. Take you pick. And millions is only the beginning. Heck, you can be in charge of mulit-million dollar pieces of equipment within 8-10 months of graduating high school if you go the route of uncle sugar! If that was you goal, I could have saved you a couple grand on tuition and books. The lab fees would be substituted for beer. :P:tongue::P

Welcome to the oil patch. The works dirty but the moneys clean. My advice is to still get your EIT and PE. You might never need them but it will help in your advancement through your carrier. You might have a little trouble with the PE as far as having PE sign for your experience with Schlumberger. But once you get into the oil patch there will be a lot of opportunities down the road.

Good Luck

Wil

Good luck I hope that works out for you. I don't know how it is now but when I was there back in the 90's it was impossible to get your PE there because there were no PE' working at that time to be working under. To further complicate things the PE exam is so very different in technical issues from what your doing that I as a PE would not sign for you since I know what you will be doing and it is not related to normal disciplines.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I'm not too worried about becoming a PE, though. I don't ever really plan on doing design work or needing to sign off on something. It was a topic that came up during the interview though, and the recruiter said that is possible to work for a PE, but very difficult to get assigned to right places. I'll probably take the FE (used to be EIT), but only because it's easier to do now while everything is fresh than 5 years down the road.

My goal for now is to work my ass off for 3-5 years, gain some experience, and save enough money to start my own business by the time I'm 30. I have no idea what that may be doing, but I'll find a niche somewhere.

Tony, when I graduated high school joining the military would have meant immediate assignment to Iraq. It was something I considered, and I have several friends that did end up joining. Unfortunately, none of them were really the same after their first tour (of course they went in as Marine Infantry). I've always wanted to fly, but with my eyesight the USAF probably would have stuck me in some support role.

Heads Up to have a consulting engineering business requires a PE in most states. I got mine and have never stamped anything and really do not plan on going back to design work. I have a MET degree and with a PE no one cares if I do. There is really nothing on the exam that relates to the real world, petro chem piping/ mech that is. Another heads up NACES is trying to raise the education level to 5 years of school to take the PE. I think it is BS; most engineers that need one are in construction design and such.