HybridZ

L28 Turbo Coughing

skully

My L28 Turbo is coughing on me on boost - I've checked the basics - it really only happens when I am trying to spin up the boost / accelerate - I can slowly gain speed and boost, but it coughs when punching it. It Seems like a AFM issue, but all test show as OK on TPS and AFM - any suggestoins on what to check or troubleshoot? Throttle response in park is fine, revs nicely - no issues there- just under driving conditions...

stock boost - stock gap on the plugs - I did just replaced the plugs thinking I had a firing issue -checked the wires, same thing as before

all Fule injectors seem to be working - I can hear them opening / pulsating - O2 is tricky - stock O2 sensor - can't get the damn thing out - even with days of oil penetration lube (no jokes please... :-) with 02 tool -- it does still run the same at idle, but I haven't unplugged the o2 and driven it around...Would the cough sound be more like a wastegate issue? The turbo is fairly old but seems to spin up under no load just fine, only when the car is under load that it's doing this....

When it "coughs" does it make any abnormal sounds? If there is any high pitched whistling or even pinging you should check out all the gaskets from header to turbo or and turbo to downpipe. The turbo on my sr20 was doing the same thing a couple days ago and I tracked it down to that. It sounds like your problem is probably different if it isn't those making sounds.

it's more like a backfire thru the turbo that when I apply throttle, that it boggs down and coughs, if I ease off,and it's ok - how touchy are the 81 pickups on the Crank angle sensor - thinking it's more of a timing issue

If it's backfiring through the intake/turbo and ONLY under load, it's too lean. If it's all the time it could be a valve timing issue but then you wouldn't be able to drive it.