HybridZ

Re-flashing Firmware problems (please help!)

aziza z

Im in the process of megasquirting my 78 280z but there is a couple of issues. Im trying to get it to run fuel and spark. So I tryed to flash the MS unit with the MS2/extra firmware but for some reason it wont work. I followed the instructions. Selected the correct COM, Turned off the unit, put the jumpers on, Turned on the unit but I always get the same message. Anyone know why I am getting this message? I can no longer communicate the the MS unit.

untitled.jpg

I followed the instructions here:

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Software_Manual.htm#insfirm

seems like the incorrect com port. to me. at least thats what happens when i put the incorrect com port in. First of all do you have a MSII cpu in the megasquirt? if so you shouldnt have to reflash it to run fuel and spark. Also you do have the key on when you try loading the software right?

seems like the incorrect com port. to me. at least thats what happens when i put the incorrect com port in. First of all do you have a MSII cpu in the megasquirt? if so you shouldnt have to reflash it to run fuel and spark. Also you do have the key on when you try loading the software right?

I thought so too (wrong com port). But its correct. When I go to my computer and check the hardware I can see that is connected in port 5. I do have MSII but I tried to upload the MSIIExtra flash. I do have the key on during upload. I followed the directions and have been at this all day.

Im not familiar with this boot loader from what I see in the image it is 1.1 loader.

Try the ms download 2.0 its more user friendly , go into settings set the proper com port. I dont remember if you can test for response from ms.

-Also if your using a usb adaptor set the buffer high in ms download than in hardware /device manager/device properties right click adaptor and also set the buffer to the same

Can I ask what your using to power the ms2 board? IF you are powering through batterey charger you will get wacky issues. Either use a car batterey or a 9v batterey. Hope that helps if that doesnt do the trick the megamanual has a huge page of steps dedicated to getting proper communication from ms good luck.

Wow. I feel stupid. Matt was right. It was the wrong downloader.

So I download the correct version and everything goes smooth. I Upload the boot file. No problem. But when i tried to upload the MS2/extra firmware. I got this.

untitled-1.jpg

I used port checker. Says port 4 is available. So thats not the problem.

Did some reading and noticed people who had this problem used a different computer. Ok. So i set up my desktop in my driveway (all the neighbors think i have serious issues now). And it still wont work.

Looked the manual over. But Im following directions. I don't know what else to do?

Any ideas?

In my first reply to you I said to use the newer loader. It looks like you dont have proper connection are you still using the batterey charger . I did that and it gave me a really hard time! are you running a USB adaptor ? check if all the drivers are installed correctly. Also in the megamanual there is huge documentation on how to troubleshoot the connectivity, from using a null vs straight wire etc follow the troubleshooting guide. I believe thats some good advice now someone please help me troubleshoot my car :(

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious as it may pertain to this problem... Does MS still have issues with Vista? My brother had a similar issue uploading his firmware with his new laptop. I had him go back to his old XP desktop and it uploaded perfectly.

It will sometimes have problems with "permissions" settings, if you right click everything and select "open as administrator" it should work just fine.