HybridZ

Setting timing on L28et

wickiewicked240z

Im having problems trying figure out how to set the timing for the MS1 v3.

I read the mobys sticky but I can't figure it out. Could you guys please help me out step by step using the timing gun, what it has to read ect. THis is a total stock engine setup. The engine has a stock 81 trigger wheel with the markings but using a 83 turbo dizzy.

thanks

Hey I agree with you the installation guide is great info however I also had trouble understanding that part.

I have ms2 which is different and the middle light on board does not light up sometimes with ms2. In the writeup says you need to move distributor while your on tdc compression stroke till your middle led lights up on the board. And that should get you really close.

For ms2 this should work as well . With the gun hooked up on #1 cylinder pointing to crank pulley, increase/decrease the trigger offset till you get your desired timing. Basically you want it to flash on 17 btdc stock settings for l28et.

I also had a lot of trouble understanding this, but in practice found it wasn't that difficult. I have a MS1v3 like you, but I'm running a VR distributor... so, no lights will light. VR needs "motion" to induce the electrical signal.

I set #1 to TDC. I removed all of my plugs, and put a socket on the crank pulley. Then I rotated the engine with my assistants' finger over the #1 hole until they felt air pressure. That's the compression stroke. I kept rotating until the crank lined up with 0 degrees. Next I rotated my distributor until the rotor lined up with the #1 wire. I actually forgot about the 2nd adjustment on the distributor when I did this, so I wasn't able to be exact. FYI there are two nuts to loosen :)

I dialed in the trigger angle using the computer. I was able to take up the slack caused by my slight mis-alignment with the angle... but I later went back and fixed the distributor.

To set the angle, I put a timing light on #1 and cranked the engine. I set MS to 10 degrees fixed, and my trigger angle ended up being 67 +45.

My crank was sorta weak, IE it didn't give a constant pulse. I ended up charging my battery, attaching the fuel pump, and guessing on the angle. On the 3rd try I got it to idle... and then I was able to easily adjust the trigger angle until the marks lined up.

With MS1/Extra, go to Spark -> Spark Settings and enter 10 in the Fixed Angle number to lock out your timing. Then adjust either the Trigger Angle (adding X degrees from it will advance the timing X degrees) or the distributor, or both, until the timing reads 10 degrees with the timing light.

Then go back and set Fixed Angle to -10. This tells it to use the timing table.