HybridZ

So how many carbs is too many?

1 fast z

Interested would be an understatement! :2thumbs: That intake is my dream topper for an N/A single-plane V-8 crankshaft. Just need to find that part/s-service I have to offer in trade that will seal the deal. wink.gif

Quite frankly, in my mind (and by extension, the minds of those in my family) the manifold is yours already. Sometime in the fairly near future I should probably give you a call and talk about what is to be done, but in case I haven't said it before.. you can "owe me" if/when you want the manifold. As soon as you have the motor for it to go on I'll ship it; don't wait for me to say what I/we want. A cylinder head for my brother's ITS 240 car would probably be the no brainer.. IF that didn't require a straight, intracontinental-disco-stylin' corner to corner shipment of a cylinder head :rolleyesg

A cylinder head for my brother's ITS 240 car would probably be the no brainer..

Its actually much harder to build power under a restrictive set of rules then it is when there are no rules at all. Remember, the best ITS 2.4L L6 engines made 208hp on a SAE certified engine dyno using unmodified engine internals, block, and head. It took hundreds of man hours to go from 190hp to 200hp and then a bunch more work to get to 208hp.

Its actually much harder to build power under a restrictive set of rules then it is when there are no rules at all. Remember, the best ITS 2.4L L6 engines made 208hp on a SAE certified engine dyno using unmodified engine internals, block, and head. It took hundreds of man hours to go from 190hp to 200hp and then a bunch more work to get to 208hp.

John, your comments are appreciated. All of us are VERY well aware of the realities of a competitive ITS engine build, and the biggest thing that keeps us from sending him an E31 head is the idea of shipping expenses; Not the sheer dollar cost, but the debate over whether some other alternative trade may be better worth it. Regardless, your comments as a racer carry a rather large amount of weight. We need to have a bit of a family pow-wow over all this :) but enough with the threadjacking.

Damn, thats the first time I've seen a straight 8. Any chance of seeing more of the car that it's going in?

And just how did they get it to work properly with six carbs? It just seems...wrong somehow...

how did Nissan get a six cylinder working with two? Thats 3 cylinder per barrel on the 240Z stock, 2 cylinder per barrel on a stock SBC/4bbl, and with this straight eight, twelve barrels for eight cylinders, so its actually 1 1/2 barrels per cylinder.

The carbs just inject the proper fuel/air mix into the intake manifold. I think its bizarre just seeing six two bbl carbs, going into an intake manifold that has four siamesed outlet ports into the cylinder head, feeding eight cylinders.. It is an excellent illustration of EXACTLY where the differences between FI and carbs stop; the outer side intake manifold flange. (forget about the fact that 99% of EFI setups inject fuel more directly into the port; thats just a convenience thing.)

*I* would like to see what the shortblock looks like without a head on it. For that matter, the underside of the head, and the crankshaft, would be interesting shots too...

After looking at the photos again, I have to ask.. was the car running when you took these pics? #1 and #8 exhaust primaries almost look glowing red, but the rest don't. Is this motor OHV???

from above page: l8_4carb.jpg

and the second link...

Valvetrain.jpgTHATS what i was lookin for!!

Except this guy seems to love teaser shots....

head.jpg

It almost looks like an N42 head with only 5 combustion chambers visible... (ignoring oil, water, and pushrod passages of course)