HybridZ

Greg Ira finishes 3rd in SCCA Runoffs '08

skib

It's amazing that after decades of racing the 240z is still placing in the top 3.

Not to diminish the result or anything, but being competitive in racing is all about classes. This is the class where the Z is currently competitive. It used to be competitive in ITS, but no longer. Before that it was CP, which morphed into GT2. It's not competitive there anymore either. In 20 years there might be a different class where the Z is competitive.

I'm glad there is a class for the Z to run well in, and I'm really glad that Greg was able to put that car on the podium. That car has been running around podium speeds for 5 years or so that I've been aware of (might be more), seems like it was always getting bumped off the track by a Miata. Anyway, congrats to Greg. Nice driving!

So it sounds like you're saying the Z started out in one class in 1970 and keeps getting bumped down over the years to slower classes so it can still be competitive? Guess it happens to the best of us...haha.

Not really. It was in CP, which became GT2, which is a much faster class than EP. But those cars were allowed more modifications, so they had more hp and chassis modification options than the EP cars. An old, properly sorted GT2 car "should" spank an EP car. ITS is a slower class than EP, and when Z's race in ITS they are allowed significantly less modifications, but they're racing with against BMW 3 series that simply have better suspension designs and stronger motors. I suppose ultimately the Z has been relegated to slower and slower classes in that it doesn't compete in GT2 anymore, but what it does compete well in is based on how much modification can be done.

Or to say another way, the Z can be slow in a slow class or faster in a fast class, it all depends on what modifications are allowed. The rules determine whether or not it is competitive, not the age of the car.