HybridZ

Convert LT1 Optispark to DIS (LS1 coils)?

ok guess I should be a little more worded

right now the engine is a tpi im converting it to a lt1 because of a good offer on ported heads and an aftermarket intake. I would like to put a coil on plug set on there see that being said I dont really want to run optispark at all is there some kind of aftermarket cam/ crank sensors to use with this set up?

ok guess I should be a little more worded

right now the engine is a tpi im converting it to a lt1 because of a good offer on ported heads and an aftermarket intake. I would like to put a coil on plug set on there see that being said I dont really want to run optispark at all is there some kind of aftermarket cam/ crank sensors to use with this set up?

I don't fully understand what you have. Are you running a standard distributor now? If so I don't know what you could use.

Ok what I have is an older tune port 5.7 350. I am rebuilding the engine to a 383 stroker. the heads will be fully ported and polished off a lt1 engine(same block as the tune port just newer and can flow higher numbers). I will also be running a Lt1 Intake that can accept up to a 90mm ls style throttle body. I love the proformance of a coil on plug system it just seems like alot stronger spark. Problem is I am having a hard time finding a way to read the cam and crank signal. What I have found is people are using the optispark too do this but there must be a way without having to buy the opti spark as well. There has got to be some kind of aftermarket sensors or something? Should I give up and just slap a distributor on it or get a opti spark setup?

• Administrators

If I read your last post correctly, this has nothing to do with an LT1, and the question your really asking is... "How do I run DIS on a Gen1 block, using LS1 coils?".

There are probably 1148 ways to have DIS. Megasquirt will be one of the cheaper ways to get it. In that case, a cam sensor is not necessary. A crank sensor will be sufficient, providing you're happy with wasted spark.

Google Megasquirt Sequencer and that should get you started.

I haven't verified it, but it may be possible to use Megajolt with the sequencer. If so, it would save you a couple dollars if you only want ignition control.

There are a number of aftermarket EMS's that will allow you to run LS type coils directly, including Wolf3D, Haltech, Motec, etc. I've even heard a strong rumor that SDS can be ordered to drive them.

If I read your last post correctly, this has nothing to do with an LT1, and the question your really asking is... "How do I run DIS on a Gen1 block, using LS1 coils?".

There are probably 1148 ways to have DIS. Megasquirt will be one of the cheaper ways to get it. In that case, a cam sensor is not necessary. A crank sensor will be sufficient, providing you're happy with wasted spark.

Google Megasquirt Sequencer and that should get you started.

I haven't verified it, but it may be possible to use Megajolt with the sequencer. If so, it would save you a couple dollars if you only want ignition control.

There are a number of aftermarket EMS's that will allow you to run LS type coils directly, including Wolf3D, Haltech, Motec, etc. I've even heard a strong rumor that SDS can be ordered to drive them.

sweet thanks alot gives me another reason to tell the wife why i need megasquirt lol.

Ps love the signature i will watch out for naked bus drivers lmfao

Are you sure you can run LT1 heads on an older block? I know the LT1 engines use reverse flow for coolant and have coolant steam vent lines that must be used or coolant will not vent off the air trapped in the heads. I don't know if any of this is an issue or not using an older block. I assume you have done the research on all that. I also don' think you could use an opti on the older block anyway since it runs off the front of the cam. But I am no expert on the differences between the older blocks and the LT1 block.

Are you sure you can run LT1 heads on an older block? I know the LT1 engines use reverse flow for coolant and have coolant steam vent lines that must be used or coolant will not vent off the air trapped in the heads. I don't know if any of this is an issue or not using an older block. I assume you have done the research on all that. I also don' think you could use an opti on the older block anyway since it runs off the front of the cam. But I am no expert on the differences between the older blocks and the LT1 block.

im still doing more research A good buddy told me it is the same block but yea I always have to see it done first lol

It's possible to use the LT1 heads and intake on a Gen 1 block but it's not worth the cost.

You have to adapt the LT1 reverse flow setup that has no coolant passage between the 2 block halves by adding one. This means you need to build a flow path in the heads that can then mate to a pipe or tube of some sort so coolent can circulate between the 2 sides of the block. Neither the LT1 heads or the intake manifold provide this.

A better (cheaper) way to go would be Vortec heads with a mini stealth ram. The vortec heads are essentially LT1 heads without reverse cooling and the stealth ram is very close in flow charateristics to the LT4 manifold.

The only thing you'll lose in this setup is the ability to run 10.5:1 compression on crappy pump gas like you can in an LT1.

As for the COP setup, have you thought about a 36:1 crank trigger setup driving a Megasquirt and EDIS? It's not really coil on plug but it's a proven setup with good performance for a reasonable price and you can use the Megasquirt to control fuel as well as spark.

Just a thought.

Wheelman

• Administrators

WHOA!!!!!

LT 1 heads on a first gen block?!?!?!

My crystal ball predicts the future of that block/head combo... :lmao:

19thomas-600.jpg

train-wreck-big.png

On a serious note, the TPI engine does not share the same block as the LT 1 and you can not use LT 1 heads on a TPI small block, (or vice versa). The TPI engines are 1st generation small blocks, the LT 1 is a second generation small block and has several architectural design changes that do NOT allow the heads to interchange with other generations, (hence the term gen I and gen II), mainly coolant paths/passages.

LT 1 blocks and heads have totally revised, completely different cooling paths. The coolant flow IN and OUT of an LT-1 is through the front of the block itself. In Gen I small blocks, the coolant flows IN the front of the block, and OUT of the heads through the intake manifold. The LT-1 does not have that provision. Coolant will not "flow" when using LT1 heads on a gen I small block, thus creating the figurative train wreck. :wink:

***edit***

Correction. As per Wheelmans post, yes it can be done. Is it realistic? As Ken eluded to, that answer lies deep in the mind of the person holding the knowledge and skills to make it happen...

As per Wheelmans post, yes it can be done. Is it realistic? As Ken eluded to, that answer lies deep in the mind of the person holding the knowledge and skills to make it happen...

Getting the air out of these engines is tough enough without trying to "make" it work on an GEN 1 block. Watching the engine temp climb while you vent the steam :confused2 off is not for the faint of heart!

thanks guys I am glad to have a for sure solution for this problem before the above happened.... good pic too. Well I guess ill take it to the TPIS sight to see what they reccomend for intake and heads. can I run the intake of a lt1 or is that diffrent too? I will give my buddy a swift kick to the balls for telling me it can be done

• Administrators

can I run the intake of a lt1 or is that diffrent too? ...

LT 1 intake does not have the coolant outlet your TPI engine requires. In short, No, it wont work.

... I will give my buddy a swift kick to the balls for telling me it can be done

And make it count.. :lmao::lmao:

BallKick.jpg

Paul is correct, it wont just 'bolt on'. However, LT1 intakes can be modified to work...

http://www.lt1intake.com/files/swapping.htm

http://www.lt1intake.com/services.htm

Actually, it can be done and is not all THAT difficult. Too much work for little gain in my opinion. See: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/178262-completed-lt1-heads-gen1-2.html

One of the Chevy magazines did a step by step explanation sometime around 1994. As I remember, it required drilling water passages into the LT1 head to match the block. Nothing really difficult.

g

• Administrators
Paul is correct' date=' it wont just 'bolt on'. However, LT1 intakes can be modified to work...

http://www.lt1intake.com/files/swapping.htm

http://www.lt1intake.com/services.htm[/quote']

Actually, it can be done and is not all THAT difficult. Too much work for little gain in my opinion. See: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/178262-completed-lt1-heads-gen1-2.html

One of the Chevy magazines did a step by step explanation sometime around 1994. As I remember, it required drilling water passages into the LT1 head to match the block. Nothing really difficult.

g

(You meant the "LT 1 head" conversion, right? The intake manifold conversion quote sort of confuses it until you read, then reared the linked thread a couple times... )

I like it. A Hybrid Chevy for a HybridZ. :2thumbs:

I’m still a bit skeptical though.

With LT 1 heads coolant passages designed and cast specific for the funky LT 1 cooling flow, it would be interesting to know if the coolant passages in the LT 1 heads themselves, are conducive to a mod such as this, i.e. no air pockets or regions in the head with no flow due to how the engineers designed the casting to accommodate how and where the coolant flowed through those heads originally?…

Personally, I would put more faith in this mod if it were accepted and used by more than one reputable tuner shop, that is, and has done this on several engines that have seen several hundred/thousand miles. :wink: