HybridZ

Pick 'n Pull experiences summed up.

Jesse OBrien

Well, I just went to the local pick 'n pull in Richmond, and found an 84 Celica GT with a manual transmission. It happens to be 10% off transmission days, and I took a look at transmission's normal prices on the way in ($99). I confirmed this with a nice guy at the front desk, and grabbed my tools. An $89 transmission sounded just peachy, so a a few friends and I pulled it (~3 hours, all told) and wheeled it up to the front victoriously. We had a Toyota w58 trans for my Celica for $90! Woohoo!

Apparently there's some magic to their math, because it came up as a $260 part... after 10% off. What a ... deal? A used w58 with a starter motor of dubious integrity for $260.

I have never mentioned my first experience with a pick 'n pull before, as I was hoping it was a uniquely bad experience. I bought a pair of $30 knuckles for a grand total of $320 (with a few other miscellaneous parts). I was also expected to pay $120 for an injector resister. The little lump of metal that sells for $27 from the Honda Catalog, including shipping, was $120 at pick 'n pull.

I can honestly say that I will never support this organization again. Consider this your own warning.

They tack up everything else onto the item. Getting a diff with halfshafts attached from a Z? You better believe they'll charge you $40 per halfshaft

getting rims? they'll charge for centercaps if present. I was getting a water inlet from an rx7, and they tried to charge me for the installed water temp sender in the unit.

Steering rack? they'll charge for inner and outer tie rods, knuckles, joints, whatever else may be attached

It all depends on the cashier. I have a Studebaker that I was looking for parts for and ran across a fairly complete car. I got the entire dash instrument cluster with all gauges, radio, door and window handles (inside and out) door latches all for $35.

As for 240 '60,'80 Z's, four or five years the local pic&pull would always have 3 or four to pull from. Now none.

I've learned to pull cams and spark plugs from cylinder heads because they charge extra for those. Then on top of everything they tack on core charges to many of the items they sell. Add on sales tax and environmental fees and you usually do wind up paying more than you originally anticipated. $260 for a $90 transmission though? That's just outrageous.

I agree with everyone else here too, it all depends on the cashier. In my favorite yards I knew who to talk to come checkout time. "What's that thing here called?" "It's a rearend." "Let's see, ummm, a drop-out 3rd member?" "Yep, sure" I wound up paying somewhere in the vicinity of $100 for a complete 280zxt R200 with halfshafts still attached because the girl at the counter only entered the part number for the drop-out third member. A week later I took the center section back sans halfshafts, traded for a Z31 R200 with a better gear ratio, and then later sold the ZXT tripod halfshafts and recouped 1/4 of my investment in the whole rearend. Just gotta find out which person you can smile at real nice to distract them I guess.

I left parts on the counter on my last visit in Orange County. I didn't find any Z parts I needed, but came across a Porsche 914 that had some OK, but not great, trim and a couple 35 year old relays. Brought the goodies to the counter and was quoted a price only slightly short of retail NOS. No sale, but my son and I did enjoy the fresh air and sunshine while prowling the rows of wrecks.

I better count my blessings then. I've had great success at my local JY. I go almost every week now.

I do hate the core charge and environment charges things though.

What's crazy is they pay 2.50 per hundered or less now. So 3000 LB car cost them $75.00. Not a bad investement on their part at all!

Don't get me wrong, I'm normally a salvage yard lover. In NH, you could often go to any junkyard, make an offer on a part, and walk away smiling while the guys behind the counter smiled right back.

Just for the sake of comparison, I picked up some knuckles in NH from a DA Integra for $100/pair. They actually pulled them for me at no charge. That means they were going to detach as little as possible while getting the knuckles out, and I ended up with a set of calipers, rotors, and ball joints included.

Here at pick 'n pull (that's a specific COMPANY of salvage yards, by the way) I took the same setup to the front counter and it was rung up as $475. That's more than they are from the dealership. I have yet to find a deal through this company that doesn't involve slipping parts into my pockets.

Actually IVE made a few deals,

I find a car , sitting on the lot, with a great deal of parts I want and I bargin with the guy for the car "AS IT SITS, COMPLETE " to be picked up and dropped off at my shop,I strip everything I want then cut the rest up and dump it, or donate it to a friend, "depends on condition"

you can generally get a semi complete car for $600 or so. and if you let them start counting out parts the totals much higher.

btw if you ask around sometimes you can arrange , for new pick-ups to be delivered to YOU rather than the yard IF they know what your looking for,(slipping the driver $20 to give you a call, won,t hurt) that way they just pay some guy $75 for his car that won,t run, and deliver it to you for $300-$400