HybridZ

need help with 280zx distributor in a 240z

hears what ive done....and ive searched.....this is a 280zx distributor w/ e12-80 module my car is a 1972 240z with the l24....my car runs good with the distributor about 2 inches rotated toward the block (i have pics attached) it sputters and dies whenever i try to turn it back enough to bolt it up.....i put the motor at top dead center by taking the vc off and making sure both the valves on #1 are closed and by taking the spark plug out and feeling when the air blows by my thumb...after that i pulled the dis. cap and the rotor was pointing to #1 on the cap....this is where ive been stuck at for 2 days....and after 2 nights of searching the archives....please someone help i just want to be able to drive my car!!!!

DSC01803_thumb.jpg

DSC01807_thumb.jpg

Did you use / swap the base from the 240 with the ZX distributor?

I believe you have to pull the base along with the dist. from the ZX or order one to go with it.

(The base is specific to the distributor.)

(Copied From Datsun Z Garage)

You will need to buy a L28 distributor base for the front cover if this is a 240Z. Motorsport Auto used to carry them them.

Tuck o/

First put the engine at TDC. Now check your oil pump mark to see it is where it should be. I believe your oil pump might not be where it should, thus distributor being off, and not able to put it at the right place.

Try to advance each of the wire one hole forward or backward to adjust the timing. Then you will know what the problem is. Look around, there is a post on this very subject.

Now check your oil pump mark to see it is where it should be. I believe your oil pump might not be where it should, thus distributor being off, and not able to put it at the right place.

:iagree: sounds like your oil pump shaft is out 180 degrees.

First put the engine at TDC. Now check your oil pump mark to see it is where it should be. I believe your oil pump might not be where it should, thus distributor being off, and not able to put it at the right place.

Try to advance each of the wire one hole forward or backward to adjust the timing. Then you will know what the problem is. Look around, there is a post on this very subject.

so i rotated all the sparkplugs up 1 whole and what do you know it worked....but will this cause a problem if i leave it like this or will i have to rotate the oil pump shaft eventually....

Some guys have ran their engine like that for a long time without problem. Make sure that the timing is OK and you are set. I personally like thing to be at the right place, thus re-aligning the oil pump shaft in the short run. You shouldn't have any problem if the timing is right and its running properly.

Make sure to tell the next guy, or write it down, it is the kind of problem that can take forever to find!

Dayz

i mean its running but not very very good....it still has a sputter and it still ticks horribly....and ive adjusted valve clearance first cold and then hot...but only 2 were out of specs....it kind of sounds like pinging but then again these valvetrains arent so suddle....im gonna try rotating the spark plugs some more and see what that does but in the mean time....these ideas really help...thanks to all who replied

You can move the plug wires around on the distributor cap so that the rotor points to the right spot for #1 and you can adjust the timing to get it right. The "correct" way to fix is to pull the oil pump and adjust the position of the distributor drive shaft. If you do go to fix it the right way it's much easier with a second person.