HybridZ

Original engine, keep it?

So I have the stock l24 block in my garage. Are they tagged by vin to the car? Basically is there any value in keeping it with the car or will any 72 240 block be the same and no one will notice? Just doing some cleaning and have some Z stuff like the block and carbs that im not sure if its worth keeping.

Thanks

In the 240z world, There is no way to match the "original number" of the car with the engine. From the books I have read, as long as the engine/head - series match...you are good.

Maybe you can ask HLS-0xxx something, a guy from UK on this site, I am pretty sure he would know this answer.

Dayz

If you have the space, I would suggest keeping it, but at this time it isn't vital. Make sure your storage methods are going to preserve the block rather than destroy it! A completely rusted unusable block isn't going to add much value to the car in the long run ;)

As of now, numbers matching in the Z world has very little significance, but there was also a time when it held no significance in the camaro world. As the overall number of good conditioned cars decreased, values jumped and originality became a factor. My father's '69 camaro would easily be worth 75% more if it had the original engine in it. There were a lot more 240Z's made than first gen camaros, so I wouldn't expect to see as drastic of a correlation, but I would still expect to see the same trend happen, especially as more and more of our cars die to the cancer of rust.

I stand corrected...from what I read, Number on the negine data plate should match engine number. I am sorry !

Dayz

but for the most part you are correct...nissan wasnt worried about keeping track with anything but how many of these cars they made...so you can get a blank one of those vin plates and stamp any motor # on them and no one would ever know....you can even get the paint code stickers and there is no set in stone way of telling the original paint other than that little sticker...which you can buy with any paint code you want....but if you really know these cars you could tell if someone did something like that...you just couldnt prove it

If you are restoring the car to stock or near stock condition, then keeping that engine makes sense. But, since you're posting here on HybridZ, I suspect your car will be far from stock. In that case, the original engine isn't worth anything to you.

make sure it is covered in oil; it would behoove to get some thin oil like air tool oil, and put it in a spray bottle, and spray it down with a light coat, then wrap it in a good, heavy duty garbage bag. that is the SURE FIRE way to make sure that 1, 2, 5, 10 years later you can reach for it and still find it easy to clean, and even 10-20-?? years it should be USEABLE... obviously you don't want it SOPPING with oil but you get the idea. A sponge bath, maybe, something along those lines.

IF you are interested in keeping the motor, it doesn't do to keep it in a manner which destroys it; that was said above. Time WILL destroy it, and since you don't have any particular plans for it... who knows how long it will be?