HybridZ

My first car..

Guest blurred_zx

Guest blurred_zx

Hey guys, i just bought my first car. The 280zx, loving it, i must say.

It's non turbo'd, which troubles me slightly as the power i have, to what i could have seems to always be nibbling at the back of my mind. The car itself was in great condition, the interior had been excellently looked after, apart from the slight crack in the dash (hidden by a dash matt). The car has extractors and two 2 1/2"" exhaust tips running out the back so it has a fairly loud grumble. Minor paint crack and a few rust spots on the lower doors, nothing serious.

Runs well, got her to 180kms the other day just seeing how far i could push it before she ran rough.

Basically, me and my father are looking to do a complete restoration and a few mods. Im wondering if anyone could quote me on the following items, since local performance stores wish to charge a 500$ down payment as sourcing quoted prices is too lengthy.

Conversion from n/a to turbo- bolt on kit or engine swap

Bodykit MSA styled, (600 on ebay or something?)

Auto to manual conversion (got a mint supra 5 speed waiting)

Interior replacement

New paint job

And some mechanical work, suspension and all the other important things i need to make my car not blow up when i take it drifting at the track or to the drags.

Anyone who could help me would be almost forever in my debt.. I say almost because some people like milking things, and not just the thing inbetween there legs =)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know enough to give you any kind of quote but I know that'll cost a whole lot.

The biggest factor will be how much work you are willing to do yourself.

P.S.

"Anyone who could help me would be almost forever in my debt"

Shouldn't you be in their debt?:wink:

Wish I could help more. Unless you have a large bank account I'd say you have some time to research. Then we're in the same boat!

Guest blurred_zx

Ok, i've narrowed it down to Two major things. Firstly, the N/A to turbo conversion, wether it be a normal engine transplant or a bolt on kit. Installation at Xtreme performance, 1500$ - kit = 500$ so 2 grand there.

And the body kit. 600$ ebay and 200$ installation (to get it perfectly fitted).

Im only 17, so my knowledge on these things is extremely limited.

Im looking to make alot of HP from this car, aswell as doing a major resto bit by bit.

My other option is to sell the car ( with the 2.5k sound system i just had installed in it) for 3-3.5k and buying a Turbo'd silvia.. Which would be faster? The turbo 280zx or the s13? im thinking the ZX due to the fact its a straight six, whilst the silvia is only a four.

Any ideas or comment, don't hesitate.

PS- Yes, forever in you're debt. lol, not mine.

My personal opinion is 1) Stop spending money, 2) Learn about cars in general 3) Learn specifics on 280zx's 4) Continue to not spend money 5) Learn more 6) Still keep your cash 7) Learn a little more 8) Start spending cash based on what you find best from your research.

A good example of this plan not being followed and the affects showing.... buying a 2.5k sound system. The second you had it installed the value of the system went down. Most people wont pay 2.5k over the cars normal value if a 2.5k system is installed. Your possibly going to sell the car and that money is all gone.

My personal opinion is 1) Stop spending money, 2) Learn about cars in general 3) Learn specifics on 280zx's 4) Continue to not spend money 5) Learn more 6) Still keep your cash 7) Learn a little more 8) Start spending cash based on what you find best from your research.

A good example of this plan not being followed and the affects showing.... buying a 2.5k sound system. The second you had it installed the value of the system went down. Most people wont pay 2.5k over the cars normal value if a 2.5k system is installed. Your possibly going to sell the car and that money is all gone.

Follow this advise. This is what I'm doing exactly.

I agree with everybody on the slow down. When dealing with cars everything should be researched or thought through. 1. because we're talking about a lot of money, and 2. because this is your baby! You wouldn't just toss your kid in any random daycare center, just as you shouldn't take your car to a shop you haven't researched and seen the work of to make sure your body kit is actually going to go on straight, ect.

Do you have any plans for suspension, brakes, tires to handle all this HP you want?

About the ZX or silvia, I'd say it's gotta be a car you love if you're gonna do a lot of work to it. So whichever one you can see your self spending lots of time, money, money, time, and more money on is what you should pick.

keep the z. i had a poor condition 280zx when i was 16. put about 10k into her over 5 years. looks good and runs good. craigslist, ebay & pick and pulls is where you save money.

1st step... buy a shop manual. Learn about your car. Start small. Fix simple things, lights, plugs, oil changes, then move on to larger work.

i agree. your first bad move was spending 2.5k on a freakin sound system. not to bust your balls but slow down and think first. were here to help not to knock you down. but that $ for the sound system is allll gonee now. the only way youll get SOME of that money back is if you find some jackass in the hood and tell him its more than waht it is and sell the system that way. my preference is take a baseball bat to it all and learn the lesson. the car will sound a HELL of alot better than a damn song if you wouldve been smart n put that $ into say the engine or suspension or exhause or paint or what the hell ever. like you said tho its your first car your just learning. but datsuns arent meant to be cars for bumping there meant to be badass :icon28: but honestly ill repeat it like everyone else LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. btw dont buy seat covers or sweet lookin floor mats from walmart that are on clearance spend $ wisely. the car will greatly reward you in the long run

1st step... buy a shop manual. Learn about your car. Start small. Fix simple things, lights, plugs, oil changes, then move on to larger work.

You cant lose if you follow the above advice. That way you will learn all the little details about the ZX ncessary for bigger projects. Your wish list is long and involved. If you try to do too much too soon you will become discouraged ...and broke! And you wont enjoy the car nearly enough.

This will also give you time to decide exactly what you want to do with the car.

Its the exact path I took 30 years ago with my first car.

Drive it and have fun!

did any one notice the "Auto to manual conversion (got a mint supra 5 speed waiting)"

WHOA!!! thats probly a little more trouble than you want to dip your whick in, sounds all good to go but, just dont

but if you have money(as it kind of sounds you do) look at a motor swap(wait, do your research btw your at hybrid z the motor swap HQ) and see what you want

mabe get a 2JZ-GTE to go with that tranny...

Sounds like you may be ahead of the game if you yank the sound system and sell the car. Find a non auto Turbo that needs paint and interior.

Get the car mechanically up to your wants/needs and then concentrate on aesthetics and entertainment.

You are going to get beat up leaving a sound system that is worth more than the car. Non auto Turbo's can be found cheap, here is one example in Atlanta http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/968078129.html

My son and I started the same way this year. We bought a Non Turbo, and two weeks later it threw a rod. We bought a motor from a wrecked car for 100$.

Then we spent about 400 and rebuilt it ourselves. You can see pictures of our effort here.

I took of a Friday and on Sunday night, we were driving it around at 6:00 pm. That was a very exciting time for us.

Then I enjoyed it so much, I decided to hunt for a project car. I bought a Turbo with T tops that was not running for 800$. One week later, after striping all the alarm junk off of it. It was running on the street. It needed alot of restoration in the interior, but my son loved the power so much, he just had to have it.

So then I said ok, and said I would find another, when I did and showed up at his work, his jaws just dropped.

Then while watching craigslist, we found a 2+2 turbo, that somebody had stuck a battery in backwards, and didnt run. We bought that for 400$. Then we stripped the car, and I mean stripped it. So we have so many parts, wiring harnass, turbo motor, trans, front and rear suspension (the 200 rear end is stronger than the 180) and the front suspension too. We even took the complete dash out with all the gauges. We can now also rebuild those sections fully and still drive our cars, and use them to swap out when their painted, updated and ready.

My suggestion is as others, if that body and interior is so good, buy a donor car, take the things you will need for the conversion, and get it on! It will take you more time. But you will truely enjoy doing it yourself, get your fathers advice every time, and take your time, dont be in such a hurry.

While you have the engine out thats a good time to get the painting done and add the body kit, there was a complete kit on craigslist here awhile back for 1K front and back and sides, just wish it wasnt Christmas and I would have had the cash...

Sounds like you may be ahead of the game if you yank the sound system and sell the car. Find a non auto Turbo that needs paint and interior.

Get the car mechanically up to your wants/needs and then concentrate on aesthetics and entertainment.

You are going to get beat up leaving a sound system that is worth more than the car. Non auto Turbo's can be found cheap, here is one example in Atlanta http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/968078129.html

yeah hes in australia bro, atl craigslist isnt going to help him much

hey im 17 too and want to do similar to what you are doing but going the inexpensive route. Its going to take a long time but more time spent into it, the less I will have to pay and more i will learn. (whole reason why i am working on a car that pently have called a pos lol, and to have that feeling that i pwned them with a free car :D )

and btw.. being 17 is no excuse for having limited knowledge lol