HybridZ

WHAT IS WITH THE WEIGHTS

660Z

IM CHANGING MY R180 OVER TO AN R200 AND ON THE R200`S FRONT CROSSMEMBER THERE`S A PLATE WITH WEIGHTS THAT ARE POSITIONED UNDER THE DIFF.

I COULD UNDERSTAND IF THEY WERE MOUNTED TO THE DIFF MOUNT FOR COUNTERBALANCE BUT I JUST DON`T SEE THE PURPOSE OF THEM.

DOES ANYONE REUSE THEM?

IM GOING TO USE THE ORIG.240Z CROSSMEMBER BECAULSE IT LOOKS STRONGER AND HAS THE BOLT HOLES ALREADY THERE FOR THE MOUNT BRACE.

SO IM JUST WONDERING THANKS...MARK

Guest Anonymous

My vega had one of those deals on the rear of the transmission, it was a cantalevered weight that hung about even with where the driveline goes into the rear of the tranny only below it. Guess it had to do with driveline harmonics or vibrations or whatever, ironic on a car that had a engine that shook like a one legged maytag on spin.

Regards,

Lone

Yeah, I was curious about the same thing. I pulled mine off a while back, because I just didn't think it was doing anything. I would love to know why these weights were put on there, it makes no sense to me. Anyone know why? Oh yeah, 660Z, turn your caps lock off, otherwise it seems like you are yelling at us. smile.gif

!M!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a dynamic vibration absorber. Basically its a mass mounted on a spring (everything is a spring technically, even a thick piece of steel) that will move the natural frequency of the system away from the range where resonance occurs normally. For instance, you may have a diff with a natural frequency that coincides with 2500rpm cruising, adding this dynamic vibration absorber can move the natural frequency of the system so that it is at 750rpm, or 7500rpm for instance. As a result you don't feel or hear the resonance occuring as often as you would if it were a 2500rpm natural frequency...

Sorry, I have a vibrations midterm in a few hours. ;)

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Lockjaw:

Dynamic vibration absorber? confused2.gif

I think aliens put it there as dead weight to slow your car down. coollook.gif

Probably Toyota sneaked it into the plan, industrial sabattoge is such a nasty business (and so is my spelling :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Page 1378 of 19th Edition of Datsun Folklore; paragrapgh 11 :"Self excersize. The diff gets stronger by working out with the weights. That is why these old 200 rear ends are so tuff. The 160 and 180 rear ends dis not come as heavily equipped and their workouts never produced the strength like the 200's."