HybridZ

General LS1 Swap Questions

Hi all,

I am currently building a 1976 280Z with a LS1/BuiltTH350 combo. I've got the complete Johns Cars mount/crossmember/header kit, And it will be a street/strip car. I have done tons of research but came up short with answers to the following questions.

*What Brand/Style gauge set(s) do yall LS1 swap guys recommend (IE: Speedo, Tach, Oil pressure, Water temp, Voltage)..That will fit in the Stock dash holes.

*What fuel pump is popular, if I want to use the stock mounting location and stock tank?

*Does anyone have a pic of a complete Johns Cars left side Motor mount?

*Is the stock body/chassis strong enough to hold a 380rwhp N/A car with an automatic and 4k stall converter? (The car has two small moon roofs).

*Does anyone besides Jegs make a nicer Roll Cage kit? Or is a custom one the way to go with the Z cars?

*Is anyone using the Stock radiator? If not, whats the best cost effective recommendation?

Thats all I can think of "For Now". Any and all input will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

*What Brand/Style gauge set(s) do yall LS1 swap guys recommend (IE: Speedo, Tach, Oil pressure, Water temp, Voltage)..That will fit in the Stock dash holes.

for the 3 smaller I used 52mm, for the two larger, I'm pretty sure they're 4", all fit in the stock holes. Mounting them is up to your creativity level. They are Autometer Phantom Gauges.

Dave%20031small.jpg

*What fuel pump is popular, if I want to use the stock mounting location and stock tank?

I'm currently using a walbro 255HP, inline. I did use this pump with the stock 240 tank temporarily before I upgraded to a fuel cell.

*Does anyone have a pic of a complete Johns Cars left side Motor mount?

Browse through here: http://home.tiora.net/davidc/?path=Datsun%2FV8%20Swap

I've got a few pics in there of the left side motor mount, and how I installed it into the car ect.

*Is the stock body/chassis strong enough to hold a 380rwhp N/A car with an automatic and 4k stall converter? (The car has two small moon roofs).

It probably is, but getting a cage in the car is always a good idea. Also to mention the safety of a cage is a good idea as well. When my car was dynoing 411 to the wheels I had nothing but a 4 point roll bar. And it seemed to hold up just fine.

*Does anyone besides Jegs make a nicer Roll Cage kit? Or is a custom one the way to go with the Z cars?

I don't know of any other place that makes it specifically for a Z car, maybe try Auto power? Lots of people end up building their own from what I've seen.

*Is anyone using the Stock radiator? If not, whats the best cost effective recommendation?

Ordering the radiator and mounting bracket from JTR would be the easiest to work with the LS1 swap.

So far I have Autometer tach and stock Datsun gauges for the rest but no speedo

I used the '02 Camaro tank with the in-tank pump and regulator.

I autocross, roadrace, drag race, and drive on crappy Illinois roads with mine with ~350 crank HP without a rollbar but with subframe connectors.

*Is anyone using the Stock radiator?

I'm using the stock 240Z radiator. Does great.

Cameron

Kevin,

The stock guages will do the job, but the majority have went the Autometer route. I have Autometer Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Volt guage and the stock combo temp/oil guage with a white face. My speedo and tach are electric, not mechanical.

I have the Walbro pump from Johns Car-I have not seen any issues posted.

If you have a rust free chassis, you should be in good shape. The weak area maybe the r200 and the half-shafts. The guys racing need to chime in here**

I have a Autopower street bar just in case. Get the cage required for the type of racing you plan on doing SCCA, HPDE, NHRA ?

The JTR radiator and mount, with F-body or Ford Taurus electric fan is a sure way to go. You have to do some trimming and sealing, but not difficult.