HybridZ

starting issue

nissan_matt22

• 1 month later...
I believe my problem is the fuel pump relay as well, but where is it exactly? I just replaced my fuel pump so that cant be. I also replaced my fuel filter and plugs. I have a 260z with a L26 on carbs

Have you read the EFI bible? it contains all your answers...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135748&highlight=efi+bible

ahem.

Well, actually a carb'd car has a totally different system. In the EFI system, the fuel pump relay is there for a few reasons. The electric fuel pump on the 260 was there only to supplement the mechanical fuel pump on the engine... so I do not know where the relay is, but the only purpose for such a relay would be to ensure that the fuel pummp is OFF when the engine is NOT running... A fuel pump relay on a carb system like that is only there to cut the pump OFF in case of an accident.

In any case, its totally unrelated to the contents of this thread.

Get a used ignition module from the junk yard and switch it with the existing one. If this solves the problem buy a new one.

My sons Z (N/A) had the same problem with the key switch, if you would just turn it enough to start cranking it would work. If you just turn it all the way it would not.

I would agree with renatodato.

The black box bolted to the side of the distributor is usually the culprit with the symptoms described.

We used to tap near them on a solid piece of the distributor housing with a brass drift at Z shop of miami but I got to the point that I would run the car, experience the failure and use freeze spray on the distributor housing since it is basically heat sinked to it.

If cooling it brough the car back to running, then I replaced it with a new one.