HybridZ

84 turbo

ArnZ

">84z31t2.jpg">84z31t1.jpgI am now officially in the Z31 club. I just bought a 84 Turbo with 160K that runs for $800. The car has four rust spots on the body (surface), and no rust anywhere else. It needs a radiator, master or slave cylinder for the clutch. AC doesn't work. All original never been wrecked, original radio, seats are good, dash is cracked, needs a headliner. I think I did good, it's a Z to drive until my Fairlady is finished. I will tow it home tomorrow and get some pictures posted. I only have what the owner took.

Arnie

">z31c.jpg

z31a.jpg

I got the car home yesterday. I put some gas in it, fresh battery and it started right up. Has a little valve tick but I have not checked the oil. It's going to need a radiator, exhaust and tires. I could not drive it because the clutch pedal falls to the floor, so I will need to address that. Everything works, lights, windows, locks, turn signals, heater/fan, radio, antenna, power mirrors. Interior is filthy but is all original even floor mats.

I have really never really cared for the Z31, I have owned my 75 Fairlady Z since 83 and been stuck in the S30 mode. But I am really appreciating this car more each day. I really wish Hybrid had a more active Z31 section, I just can't deal with the idiots bashing, trash talking and general immaturity that exists in the other forums out there. I plan fixing the clutch issue and gutting the interior for steam/pressure washing this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally drove the car today, I replaced the master and slave cylinder, and did the damper mod. It was rather depressing, it sounds like the diff mount is shot, springs and struts feel really bad. It had a little valve/lifter clatter when I first got it home, I changed the oil and it is now louder?

Has anybody built a solid diff mount for a Z31?

Nice find.

You need to do the timing belt immediately as you don't know when last done or how long it's been sitting.

I would do:

timing belt

timing belt tensioner

timing belt tensioner stud (tends to break if reused or over troqued)

water pump

thermostat

cam oil seals x2

crank oil seal

http://www.courtesyparts.com/bundle-60k-timing-belt-kit-300zx-z31-p-568772.html?cPath=2317_7652_7653&

I live in Auburn and might be able to help out some if you need it. I am a Nissan tech, and I know a guy here in Auburn who has a lot of Z's in his junk yard if you need something.

Nice buy.

Looks from the pictures that your definitely going to need to replace the rear quarter window seals. And be sure to check the spare wheel well and driver side rear for water damage. Pretty easy to do, done it on 3 of the 4 Z31's I've had.

I'm getting more and more motivation to get my 88 running again, and turbo swap while I'm at it. Just need to get my 75 going first.

I am going to address the rear end issue then get on the engine. I guess I need to pull the lifters and clean them, do the timing belt and water pump and heed NissanEgg's advice on the seals.

"Looks like you got a great deal!

If there are any parts you need, my brother and I are parting out an 84 ae, so if you need anything we probably can help you"

I do need some interior pieces

"Nice buy.

Looks from the pictures that your definitely going to need to replace the rear quarter window seals. And be sure to check the spare wheel well and driver side rear for water damage. Pretty easy to do, done it on 3 of the 4 Z31's I've had"

The wheel well is good, but I noticed that the rear right side has bolt in panel that needs to be replaced. Overall this car does not have major rust issues! When I get the suspension/rear end issues and the engine clatter gone. I will be finally be able to drive it for more than 100 yards.

The PO stated he had a good bit of service done to the car and was to furnish a stack of receipts to me, but could not find them. He was a little vague about what was replaced and when, so It went through one ear and out the other. In that stack was new timing belt and water pump receipts. Is it easy to discern a recently replaced belt, or is it not worth risking?

Arnie

Oh yeah, the tail light seals are the same material as the rear windows. Removing all the rear interior trim is somewhat bothersome, so might as well do it all at once right.

As for the timing belt. Peace of mind is priceless. might as well replace it if your tearing apart the top end for the lifters anyway. Just be very careful not to let the clips in the lifters fly away. They're tricky little bastards sometimes.

And if you are interested in buying a set of already rebuilt lifters let me know. I've got a spare set sitting in the garage and I already have half of them done and can get the other half done whenever.