HybridZ

Hybrid Z-32 power-plant options?!?!...

BRAAP

Looking good! If I could only find the guy here in Jacksonville that has done the LSx swap into his Z32. I'm pretty sure he used a little friendly persuasion on the firewall and modified the oil pan quite extensively but he got it running.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Looking good! If I could only find the guy here in Jacksonville that has done the LSx swap into his Z32. I'm pretty sure he used a little friendly persuasion on the firewall and modified the oil pan quite extensively but he got it running.

I'm be very VERY interested in hearing more about that conversion... victory.gif

Brapp, I assume you are aware of this swap.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/336734

If you are, I didn't think it would hurt to post anyway. I'm not sold on the rear mount turbo setup yet. I thought heat was one of the driving forces making a turbo work.

NCchris,

No, I wasn't aware of that swap. Thank you for the link. Definitely an inspirational conversion. GORGEOUS car, so clean! Love those wheels! :2thumbs:

I'm not a fan of rear mount turbos either. By page 7 it looks as though he has changed his mind and moved the turbos back up front! wink.gif

Thank you for sharing.

• Administrators
Yuk :puke::iospalo:

I don’t get it guys? The mock up mule is HOT! hot.gif All 4 four corners and roof have custom body work, well ventilated cabin, dash isn’t cracked…

You mock it now, but one day… it’ll roll again…

Z-32shellMedium.jpg

MULE.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

… on a trailer on its way to the scrap yard! :lmao:laugh.gif

I browsed threw the thread and see some fun swap options but is an RBt out of the question? I have no idea how easy it will fit ect.

(and I know your lovin the V8's lol) but thought Id at least throw out the idea, maybe stimulate some discussion.

• Administrators
Are the log jackstands a West coast phenomena or is it exclusively a Northwestern thing? ;)

In the larger cities such as NY, LA, Chicago or SF, concrete blocks are the preferred static nonadjustable jack stand. Here in the beautiful Pacific North West, Douglas Fir is not only the preferred static nonadjustable jack stand, but also doubles as a source of heat on a cold wintery day…wink.gif

Here is shot of my two oldest daughters and Charlie Brown (the worlds dumbest Rhodesian Ridgeback) hauling a load of Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti jack stands up to the house to be used as heat on a cold Sunday afternoon while watching NFL Football! :2thumbs:

Woodgals.jpg

Reason #219,034,856,803,479,234 its GREAT to live in subtropical climate zones: You get to become attached to your jackstands! You develop a trusting bond with that worthy mass that holds your precious vehicle at heights able to do fair and just work upon her... The bond 'twixt jackstand and gearhead is a sacred thing, and to trivialize it by using your stands as fuel.. One TRULY pities those whom need drives to use their able jackstands as fuel.

Dear LORD, hauling firewood is one chore I will never miss.... (and I HAVE been there, done that) but wood fire heat is a geographical and atmospheric luxury that I must admit I wish I could afford.

• Administrators

Sorry of the lack of update recently. Haven’t been able to do any more work on this as I have a couple of custom L-6 cylinder head projects that have been here in machine-shop jail long enough and need leave the shop THIS WEEK!

At this point, I still plan to stab the VH45DE in the engine bay for pics, though with my increasing desire to play with the LSx, that would mean the VH45DE would go up o the block. I am pretty sure the VH45DE will bolt in the car using the Z-32 5 speed with much greater ease than getting the LSx and T-56 in the car, but the more I study the LSx the more attractive it becomes and the more fab work I’m willing to tackle, (firewall is to remain intact!)

• Administrators
you know any 98-02 camaro/firebird and 05-09 vettes use an oil pan that's only 5 inches deep right?

*cough* (im sure you have already been their though)

Yeup, been to the *cough* page which is where I got the pics below and... *cough cough*, (I'm sure you have already been there though) wink.gif

I also recently received an F-body pan from a HybridZ member, and have had an ’01 Vette bat-wing pan for a few years, along with my truck pan. Still need to get the front sump GTO pan. please.gif Problem with the those 5” deep pans is that they are 4” inches too deep where the rack and pinion goes.

This picture of the truck pan shows where I need to modify the pan to clear the rack, (middle section), and shorten so it does not drag the ground, i.e. bring ht bottom of the pan to the same leave as the bottom of the cross-member! As compared to the Vette and F-bod pans pictured below it, you can see by cutting either of those pas to clear the rack, essentially leaves very little oil capacity left. Removes the entire Batwing section of the Vette pan!

My truck pan!

Z-32pan.jpg

F-bod pan, courtesy of LS1tech.com.

dim_oil_pan_ls1_camaro-910x882.jpg

C-5 Vette pan, courtesy of LS1tech.com

c5_oil_pan_dim2-799x902.jpg

I just found this regarding the trans and the CTS V trans with the GTO oil pan just may be the hot ticket!

T-56DIMENSIONS.jpg

Sorry of the lack of update recently. Haven’t been able to do any more work on this as I have a couple of custom L-6 cylinder head projects that have been here in machine-shop jail long enough and need leave the shop THIS WEEK!

At this point, I still plan to stab the VH45DE in the engine bay for pics, though with my increasing desire to play with the LSx, that would mean the VH45DE would go up o the block. I am pretty sure the VH45DE will bolt in the car using the Z-32 5 speed with much greater ease than getting the LSx and T-56 in the car, but the more I study the LSx the more attractive it becomes and the more fab work I’m willing to tackle, (firewall is to remain intact!)

let me know if you do ive been looking for a decent vh45 as i want to set it back around 11 inches and dont want someone elses crap.