HybridZ

cut stock engine harness still in car

I think this is where this needs to be posted...

Any help is always appreciated, I want this thing running and im going to finally tackle the wiring harness. looks like all that needs to be hooked up is alt, starter, maf, injectors, chts, am I missing something?

The guy I got my z from for 75 bucks for some reason pulled the motor out and lets just say he did not like to unhook connectors so they are cut or ripped, who knows. I was planning on using a 300zx harness but couldnt figure out how to take it out without cutting it so.

1. Any way, the stock engine harness after the maf wire is cut, I have 2 harnesses out of later 280zxs but I dont know how to wire it up, they are all white,. does it matter if the injectors wires are mismatched, like 1 is connected to 3 and all that. or do I need to follow each wire back to the ecu and then wire it up to the correct injector(which I do not want to do) Unless there is a easy way, I think the wires said 104 on them? And the 280zx engine injector harness is all different colors, not just white.

hpim1368dc8.jpg

2. Does any one know what this went/goes too? I was thinking the distributor.

hpim13692ou2.jpg

3. What does this go too, its a long cable, It is coming out of the fire wall under the clutch or brake resirvoirs under the little pop up things.

hpim13702wn8.jpg

4. This is just a mess, can I get a wiring diagram for this, I believe its the altenator/starter? I have a 1982 280 fsm but cant find anything. maybe someone can point me into the right direction. I also looked in this and found nothing http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1976/

hpim13723jr9.jpg

more of the alt harness

hpim13734qk9.jpg

Comrade;

Nissan did a very nice job of color coding thier electrical wires. You will benifit from purchasing a Nissan manual, preferably a Factory Service Manual. If you buy an after market manual be sure it includes an electrical schematic indicating the differant colored wires. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Z.

Mike

IMO you would be better off getting another harness. They are old cheap cars, there's plenty of parts out there. I have one if you are interested (cheap if it's what you need) or post up in the classifieds.

How hard are they to change, I tried pulling a harness out of a 280zx and I found no way of doing it without cutting it?

You have to cut some wires. to do it. But Its knowing wich ones you can and can not cut which is key. And It looks like you have a turbo engine. Are you trying to run a stock NA efi on a turbo motor?? cause if you are it isnt going to run that well and you might damage something.

I am just trying to get the stock harness back to original condition, then I am going to start to do the 300zx maf and turbo ecu swap. it has 300zx turbo injectors(260cc, I believe stock turbo 280 injectors are 270cc, still have them but the plastic is all broken). my 300zx has nistune, I want to use the 300zx ecu because it has a maf and not a afm, and I can use nistune on both if I want. but I have 2 spare turbo ecus sitting in my room.

I already did the z31 CAS and what not into the 83 turbo dizzy. I was going to swap in the whole z31 harness but I dont know what im doing with wires... so I find it might be easiest to just copy junkyard cars with uncut wiring and follow the fsm to get mine back to stock(uncut condition)

I would seriously consider just getting the 300ZX harness and going at it like that.

If you are aware of what is involved in that upgrade, then it would probably be simplest to get it all done in one fell swoop. The schematics for the donor 300ZX, and the original chassis, would be the applicable references, but such a swap requires that the user (you) really be fundamentally able to take what you need from the two books and the two cars sitting in front of you.