HybridZ

Need clutch advise

Cody 82 ZXT

I'm now in need of a new clutch for my setup. I'm outting in a New to me J/Y engine that is supposed to be good and is from a reliable source. Anyway I need a clutch that will hold up to 350 or so HP. I know this will be alot for this engine but, who cares if I tear it up, it came out of the J/Y.

I found a site called Dial-A-Clutch they say thier organic clutch will hold 103% of stock power and is only 320.00 bucks. I just wonder if anyone has ever used them?

If you have the T5 trans, you can get a 300ZXTT pressure plate and have your flywheel redrilled to make it work. Use a disc from an 89 300ZXT, it is the proper diameter and grippier than the TT disc.

There are some ribs on the inside of the bellhousing that need to be ground down flush to make room for the larger diameter pressure plate.

This combo is hooking me up on drag TA's, and I have dyno'd 307 hp to the rear wheels. Nice thing about this set-up is you can get it at any nissan dealership.

Or you can try this link http://nismoparts.safeshopper.com/141/cat141.htm?482

They have what used to be called the sports option pressure plate.

I am not a fan of the Centerforce DF due to the wear they put on the flywheel. In my opinion it is easier and cheaper to replace a clutch disc and pressure plate than a flywheel. The DF clutches I have seen run really chew up a flywheel.

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

I am not a fan of the Centerforce DF due to the wear they put on the flywheel. In my opinion it is easier and cheaper to replace a clutch disc and pressure plate than a flywheel. The DF clutches I have seen run really chew up a flywheel.

Unless you have an alumnium fly with replacable high ductile surface. lol

Originally posted by Cody 82 ZXT:

I'm now in need of a new clutch for my setup. I'm outting in a New to me J/Y engine that is supposed to be good and is from a reliable source. Anyway I need a clutch that will hold up to 350 or so HP. I know this will be alot for this engine but, who cares if I tear it up, it came out of the J/Y.

I found a site called Dial-A-Clutch they say thier organic clutch will hold 103% of stock power and is only 320.00 bucks. I just wonder if anyone has ever used them?

103% of stock power is 187 hp. Not a good deal unless you meant 203% of stock power. From what I hear ClutchMasters makes a good clutch, and for high HP, folks do not like the CenterForce. I am still using a CenterForce II without any problems for 4 years now, but only recently am I making close to 300hp.

I have Centerforce III right now and it held up fine till I got to about 320 HP. Then it would slip while getting on the highway full Boogie in 4th gear. Here is the description of the clutch from the page itself.

280 ZX 2.8L L28ET Turbo 1981-83 Organic, Clamp Load (Kgs)915,Capacity Increase 103%

$314.70

Anyway what do you think?

Lockjaw, clutch set-up sounds intreasting. Is it jsut the stock disc of a 89 turbo?

Yes Cody the disc is a stock one, but it is the same diameter as the TT and made of a grippier material. I did not figure this out on my own, Clark let me in on that secret.

915 KG is a seriously stout clutch. A stock 300ZXTT is 780 to 800 KG, so that one has alot more clamoing force.

Figure 2.2 psi per KG, that one has an additional 200+psi of clamping force.

I think the larger diameter disc helps too. Since mine is 250mm versus 240, I think that is more surface area to try and slip. I know the 225 mm sports option pressure plate is easier to get to slip, my friends have run that on a turbo car with issues.

Run it and see. Its only money. :D

Originally posted by Cody 82 ZXT:

I have Centerforce III right now and it held up fine till I got to about 320 HP. Then it would slip while getting on the highway full Boogie in 4th gear. Here is the description of the clutch from the page itself.

280 ZX 2.8L L28ET Turbo 1981-83 Organic, Clamp Load (Kgs)915,Capacity Increase 103%

$314.70

Anyway what do you think?

Damn - that is a serious clutch. Yes, it is 203% of stock (103% INCREASE). I know the Mitsubishi motors get crankwalk issues with stout clutches, has anyone heard of similar issues with nasty cluches on L28s ????