HybridZ

Source for custompilot bushing ??

Guest MarksM

McLeod and Lakewood make conversion bearings to adapt Ford trans to Chevy engines,PAW is a dealer for both. Not sure about vice-versa. Knowing Ford, they probably changed the bushing size on the 3.8 compared to their V8. Advance Adapters has conversion bellhouisngs and bushings/bearings as well, but once again I'm not sure on your application.

Yeah, I have one of those Lakewood Ford Trans to Chevy Engine adapter roller bearing pilots in my Z. Problem is it goes the wrong way (Chevy engine, Ford Tranny) for Mark, as he has a Ford Engine and Chevy Trans.

Yesterday I was having a fit trying to get the tranny (110 lbs!) back into the bellhousing under the car. Well, I finally pulled it down for the third time. Thought maybe I had moved the clutch disc out of alignment so I took a look in there.

The freaking pilot bearing had fallen out of the crank! The Lakewood piece is simply a standard sealed roller bearing with a knurled AL bushing pressed onto the outer diameter. Well, it's a very slight press fit in both 327 cranks I have. I should have glued it in to begin with. I took a screwdriver and put some very heavy duty RTV on the outer circumference of the bearing/bushing, lifted it into place and used a bent tip screwdriver to tap the outer race into place. All through the tiny 1-1/16" opening in the clutch disc! The heck if I was pulling the bellhousing and clutch if I didn't have to! After that the tranny slid right in!

Freaking aftermarket parts! They need modification to work right at least 50% of the time. Anybody remember the Editor of some car mag saying that in his opening column and then saying later that the aftermarket companies hammering him?

Anyway, I'm not sure how this will work, but you may have to mave a custom piece made. IIRC, the Chevy pilot diameter is smaller than the Ford, so you'd need a bushing with a thicker wall. Maybe Lakewood or McLeod has an app for that as well, but I haven't seen it.

McLeod makes a bellhousing that is drilled with the narrow Ford toploader pattern, it is listed in the PAW catalog, so my guess is they have a bushing as well. I have one of those you are talking about Pete, not sure where it is at right now, but came in a box of big block chevy parts I bought over 15 years ago! brand new on the card.

I was just looking for a T56 roller bearing on the net last nite (thx for picking it up for me from PAW Tim!) and I know I saw info on the T56 and Fords.

Here's one that might help.

http://www.drivetrain.com/fordt56inst.html

http://www.ffcobra.com/FAQ/transmission.html

The 2003 model comes with one?

http://mustangworks.com/autonews/arc0-2002.html

Owen