HybridZ

Purpose of 'Emergency switch'???

As I slowly decipher my wiring diagram and eliminate the 'extra' wires on my 74 260Z harness, I am now on what the schematic calls an 'emergency switch' with a little red plunger button on it that says 'push'. I plan on getting rid of this as I continue to weed out the wires, but I was just curious what was this originally intended for? I assume this was the factory's version of a kill switch or disabler switch....any feedback? Thanks. -Rod

Yea, it was the one in the engine bay, and it's gone now. I've cleaned up most of my wires now, and yes there is a pile of wires left over. I'm keeping the fusible link and the shunt for now. All the interlocks are gone. Now I'm playing with the Mallory Hyfire ignition and unilite distributor hookup. Thanks. -Rod

I did the same thing by the way if youre using the v8 you can use the interlock switch to turn engine over under the hood. I used a ford stater relay mounted on frame rail near starter I drew power from the alternator wire and ran switch to the front of the engine after painting it. It is very useful when adjusting valves etc it will mount on the front of the engine with minimal work. also for those building manual cars I figured out how to use the factory shifter in the t 5 camaro. if interested pm me .

I also suggest removing all plugs except windsheild wiper moter .and then loom fits over them easier. Bill

by the way,the mallory box will mount under the hood door on the drivers side I mounted mine there and coil is under clutch master cylinder. If you mount them there you can run the wires from battery through cowl and bring the dist wire through firewall directly behind dist. it makes fo a neat install in the pic of my engine all wires are there, the only addition was the upper radiator hose. I put 3 gauges in the firewall above master cylinder.oil temp and vacuum. also in the pic i had coil in factory location.anyway Ive blabed enough for now

PLEASE document your progress with wire deletes for the 260z. They're a ratsnest.

Aaw, crap. You're right - I missed a big opportunity when I de-wired my early 260. I pulled out an assload of wire, and it would have been monumentally valuable to those who come after us to document each one I pulled. I just dived in and started ripping out everything that wasn't connected anymore.

Sometimes you don't realize how much good you can do just by taking a few notes and relaying that information on to others.