HybridZ

finally going back together

Hey folks,

Happy New Year!! Been a while...for those who don't know, I hurt my 454 small block at Reynolds last March. Rebuilt it and put it in the barn for a future project. You're looking at my new motor for the z-car...same turbo system, however, motor is specifically built for turbos. 415 cu in sbc, 8.7:1 compression, AFR 220 cc intake runner heads, Jesel 1.65:1 shaft rockers, 3/8, .120 wall pushrods, JE custom pistons, 6" forged rods, forged 3.875 crank, small, short-duration roller cam and lifters,ported Edelbrock Pro XT intake, 96 lb/hr low impedence injectors, Electromotive distributorless ignition and ECM, Alcohol injection, etc. Switching from the Powerglide to a Turbo 400, running 355 gears.

Hope to have it together and tuned by the end of Jan and sorted out by the time we get to another SEZ...:o)

Wayne

415 tt front_thumb.JPG

415 tt left_thumb.JPG

415 tt right_thumb.JPG

415 TT top_thumb.JPG

Hey Doc...good to hear from you. If I didn't already have the twin turbo system, I would do it your way with a single as well...packaging would be much simpler, easier, and utilitarian similar to dustin280zx. I think that might be a project for another day...we'll see how this one works out.

Wayne

Hey Wayne, let us know how you like that Edelbrock system over the Massflo EFI. I'm curious to see which you like better and why. I'm still in the market for a system (although some money would help me purchase one :lmao: ) and I am always looking at what the latest aftermarket has to offer.

Nice work on this new motor BTW. What do you predict the HP figures to be?

Davy

Hello Uncle Wayne,

Glad to see you are on top of things. Looking forward to see the new engine in the works. It should be a Beast...... Get ready to hold onnnnn.

Looking forward to the next DNI as well. Have my engine parts at the machine shop as we speak. Hopefully will be putting mine back together in a week or two.....:-D

John and Jerry

Hey Davy,

Thanks for the kudo's..actually, I am only using the Pro XT manifold from the Edelbrock system. I am running timing and fuel with an Electromotive TEC3R.

I'm looking for a safe 700 to 750 RWHP on 93 octane and alcohol injection at 12 lbs of boost and 1200 to 1300 on race gas, alcohol injection and 18 to 20 lbs of boost.

twisted280z: the manifolds came with the system...go to Banks Power and look for the twin turbo stuff and you will find them in the twin turbo kit. They will sell them separately however, they want almost $2000 for them.

Hey John and Jerry...Great to hear from you! I took a look at your last test and that thing must be a beast as well...it seems mighty easy for you to turn that thing over...in your case, there is such a thing as too much traction:o)

She's coming together pretty well...still some one-off cats and dogs I need to do before I put it back in and get it to the dyno. By your motor, I presume you mean the turbo motor or are you talking about the blower motor? It will be good to compare notes when you get the turbo motor humming...will keep posting as I make progress...

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne: I am very interested in your comments concerning the Edelbrock Pro XT Tunnel Ram Manifold. I am strongly considering one of these for my 383 SBC Stroker. Which make and size Throttle body are you ending up using for this manifold? As for the porting of this manifold, was it just matching up the ports or did it go further than that? Please advise. Thanks.

Hey Davy,

Thanks for the kudo's...I'm looking for a safe 700 to 750 RWHP on 93 octane and alcohol injection at 12 lbs of boost and 1200 to 1300 on race gas, alcohol injection and 18 to 20 lbs of boost...

Wayne

*GASP* :icon52: Those are some very BIG numbers on the race gas! Cripes! Any desire to make the engine run on E-85 instead of race gas? We have one local station here that I know of that sells the stuff, so I don't know about availability in your neck of the woods. Race gas is sooo expensive compared to E-85. I know E-85 has it's drawbacks, but it's cheap in comparison. Of course, if this is a track only car, it doesn't matter much anyway.

Davy

rsicard....it is a 90mm edelbrock throttle body. I only port matched the intake to a 1206

Davy...didn't think of E-85 to be honest with you. Probably wouldn't take much to change...I would need bigger injectors as I believe using E-085 requires about 30 to 35% more volume. The rest of the fuel system would work. Need a re-tune from straight gas also...not sure if I have any outlets here or not. Might be worth checking into...this is a street/strip car so it would be very useful if I can get the E-85. ZZZeee is correct...no need for the alcohol if using E-85. Can't believe you guys start stuff like this...now you have me re-thinking the project....:o) By the way, the engine is in the car...hooking everything up at this point.

Wayne

Can't believe you guys start stuff like this...now you have me re-thinking the project....:o) By the way, the engine is in the car...hooking everything up at this point.

Wayne

Thats why you're supposed to submit all ideas to us in writing 90 days prior to priming the hydraulic ram on your engine hoist :flamedevi

Davy...didn't think of E-85 to be honest with you. Probably wouldn't take much to change...I would need bigger injectors as I believe using E-085 requires about 30 to 35% more volume. The rest of the fuel system would work. Need a re-tune from straight gas also...not sure if I have any outlets here or not.

Wayne

http://www.e85refueling.com/locations.php?resultpage=1&state=gaGeorgia

Wayne, before you go changing anything, look at all the sites GA E85 sites first. I don't see anything in Albany doing a simple Google search. The only one there I see is "private." Maybe there is something close to you though. I was mentioning the E85 since it may save you money in the long run, especially if locally available, because I have been reading about guys making BIG power with the stuff. I figure that paying $1.80 or so a gallon for E85 is better than paying $7+ for race gas.

I have a SC station close to me that sells E85, so for me this is an option. I may or may not do it, but I have to obtain an EFI system first.

Davy

These are the latest pics from the project as of tonight. Coming together...got the bottom end pretty much buttoned up. Working on the top end putting everything back together and checking fitment.

Davy..you've planted the seed now...not making any changes right yet, however will keep an eye out for E85.

P1020407_thumb.JPG

P1020408_thumb.JPG

P1020409_thumb.JPG