HybridZ

280ZX alternator swap...anyone who has done it, help!!

jacob80

Hello everyone,

Well, today I'm working on figuring out the wiring for swapping in a 280zx alternator into our 1973 240z. Now, I know that you must eliminate the external regulator by making some connections. I have tracked down the article here:

http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/tech/280Alt.html

Now, here is where my problems start. Here is the connector to the external regulator first of all:

regulatorconnectoryc2.jpg

A: Yellow

B: Yellow

C: Black

D: White with black stripe

E: White

F: Black with white stripe

Now, I go to the article and read the following steps on connecting the wires above together. It is as follows:

"2. Unplug the external regulator and note the color code of the wires that are on the regulator connector of the engine wiring harness. You will be connecting some of these wires together, so get another plug from a junked regulator or cut the one off your old regulator. Now the wire colors I will be referring to are on the regulator connector of the engine wiring harness. This is because although the regulator wire colors match the engine harness with the stock regulator, I've noticed that some aftermarket regulators have a different wire color code.

3. Connect the white wire to the yellow wire. This connects the battery to the "S" input.

4. Connect the black with a white stripe wire to the white with black stripe wire. This connects the "L" terminal to a switched 12V."

Now, this step only talks about four of the six that are even there. What do I do with the other two? Furthermore, there are two yellow wires present. Which yellow one do I connect to the white wire?

Ok, now, assuming we get that figured out, lets look at the connection to the alternator and the back of the alternator itself:

1026674qe2.jpg

1026679xo4.jpg

Now, looking at these connections, we have (from right to left) the white with red striped wire, the black (I'm assuming ground), the two wires (white with black stripe and yellow wire) that connect to the "T" connector, and finally, a yellow with black stripe wire. Now, the next steps are as follows:

"6. At the alternator, connect the white with red stripe wire of the engine wiring harness to the threaded stud (the "A" terminal) on the alternator. This connection provides the charging current for the battery. Connect the black ground wire to the alternator. Don't forget to include any bypass, or filter capacitor. Plug the two-pin "T" connector into the alternator.

7. Re-connect the battery and start the engine. With a good digital voltmeter measure the voltage directly across the battery terminals. This is the charging voltage. It should be 14.7V +/- 0.3V, but this voltage is a function of the ambient temperature and the state of charge of the battery. If the voltage reading is not correct, then re-check your wiring. More than 15.0V indicates that the "S" connection may not be connected correctly."

Now, I'm pretty sure the low gauge white with red stripe wire connects to the "BAT" terminal on the back of the alternator, and I also understand the that T connector just plugs right in to the "T" input on the back of the alternator, but where does the ground wire go as well as the yellow with black stripe wire? And one more thing, will this be needed? And if so, where does it go? Im assuming it is some sort of capacitor. Pic:

1026675gt2.jpg

If you guys can help me, that would help me along the way to dropping in our L28ET. Thank you!!

if im seeing that right the capacitor is plugged into the black wire with white strip so im guessing it (the cap ) grounds on the alternator.the red and white goes to the battery. the alternator has to be energized with a wire that gets power when key is on the p connection? I know the t plug goes to the regulator so it should be the wires that run field to stator. I used a chevy alt 1 wire red and white,lol if the p is the energizing wire a wire from ignition switch that comes on with key there and red and white. I do know they changed the gauge from alt(amps ) to volts.fuse p wire and red and white has fusible link (under white cover on the firewall. you should look up user grumpy vette or contact mike at jtr (jags that run ) in CALI. good luck and I hope ive helped some,B

Assuming the black with white stripe that goes to the capacitor is the same wire on the regulator connection, it says:

4. Connect the black with a white stripe wire to the white with black stripe wire. This connects the "L" terminal to a switched 12V."

Now why would this wire go to a capacitor? Furthermore, the whole time we have run this car, it has just been hanging! Someone has to know a little more about this swap.

Wow, sounds pretty cool, except I am not sure how the heck it works. Have you used it Mr. Junglist?

I haven't personally used it, but at www.classiczcars.com there is a guy named "Zs-ondabrain" that manufactures those adapters for MSA. His e-mail is wolfin32z@yahoo.com and I'm sure he'd be able to answer any questions you had about the adaptor.

The cap just bolts to the body using one of the Voltage regulator bolts. It filters noise and Spikes in the system.

As for the Alternator wires, just ground the black wire to the bolt with an "E" on it. The white/red goes to the bolt with a "B" on it and the "T" connector just plugs into the alternator.

The ZXP is $15 and plugs right into the Voltage Regulator connector you were holding in the picture.

Hope that helps,

Dave.

Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that I will just buy the "plug" for the voltage regulator connector and no modification is needed for the connections that go into the back of the alternator, correct? And can someone tell me where that little capacitor is supposed to be? It has just been hanging for a long time.

www.classiczcars.com there is a guy named "Zs-ondabrain" that manufactures those adapters for MSA. His e-mail is wolfin32z@yahoo.com and I'm sure he'd be able to answer any questions you had about the adaptor.

I have Dave Irwin's products. I have the headlight, parking light harness and alternator upgrade. First class and well worth the money. :2thumbs:

http://www.classiczcars.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=11