HybridZ

my s130 tube frame chassis

Made out of hot glue and toothpicks lmao. I know it isnt proportionant or anything. But i do plan on doing this to my s130(with tubing not toothpicks). This shows my tube placement. Basically im just looking for ideas to improve on my design.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004.jpg

more supports in the upper half of the main hoop?

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Rear strut tower supports?

You're going to want to redo the door bars so you can get in and out of the car. With the tubing you will be able to utilize bends and make things much smoother :)

I haven't seen someone tie the front struts into the frame rails by the firewall like that before. I've only seen it through the firewall and to the dash bar. I would also tie the front of the strut support in with the front most bar so there is only one point in the engine bay mounting to the fame rail.

Take this all with a grain of salt, because this is just coming from observations of others tube frames and cages. ;)

your front looks o.k. id be a little concerned for the rear, it has no support other than horizontal. if a large bump was hit could it therotically move (bend) upwards. could use some extra tube running to the main hoop? im no cage designer, just a looky loo

Get the book Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams. He does a lot of modeling like this but he uses a little stronger balsa wood, and then the tests the torsional rigidity of the design. You could do the same, but you'd need frame rails and I don't think the toothpick joints are strong enough. Your rear tubes look like they go all the way back to the car. I'd suggest that is a bad idea and that you should make them attach to the shock mounts or something else closer in so that you keep the crumple zone in the back and if you get rear ended it doesn't junk the whole car.