HybridZ

fiberglass everything

german903

since carbon fiber need a compresser and a giant over

I am thinking parting out my fender in front use it as a negative mode and make myself one by fiber glass.

but I have no exp in doing this. Would like to know if this will work?

or does it reduce some weight instead of the original fender and hood ?

or did anyone try to make a one piece fender and hood by fiber glass project before

would love to hear from you guys

thanks for any opinion

JOHN!!!!! Why did you go and post that?? I knew he meant oven(?) Now i spent 40 minutes watching airplane clips on you tube. It would of taken less time to pull the video out and watch the whole thing. Another potentially productive day ruined. Thats it, the movie is comng out. Being hurt and stuck at home sucks!!

• 2 weeks later...

since carbon fiber need a compresser and a giant over

Don't need a giant oven for Carbon Fibre, you could lay it with the same stuff u lay your fibreglass with, nice and cheap polyester resin.............just dont want to f#ck it up as it aint cheap :-)!!!

Having said that there is many, many different grades of Carbon Fibre available,

For example, get some 250gram weight chop strand mat for about $2AUD/M, the cheapest CB I have found was around $35AUD/m - then if you want the stuff they use on the A380 you are looking at $125AUD/m, but it is difficult to purchase the really good stuff in quantity as those A380's appear to use a lot of it............

Or you can get your own grade made up like the F1 boys do!

Wonder what the Lotus is made out off............wonder if it is all CB or just a top layer of CB - and why would u make the entire outta layer of a car out of CB, when CB crashes it smashes into a million pieces - I thought in F1 you werent allowed exposed CB anymore, had to cover it with something like FB because of the way it reacts when it hits something, it shatters...............

I was recently stuffing around with Fibre-Glass front guards, very cool once ur done :-)!!!

18112008385640x480.jpg

18112008386640x480.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You can do wet lay up with carbon fiber. And then you can add vacuum with a vacuum pump, and pull any excess resin or air bubbles out.

Another easy way is vacuum infusion, where the vacuum draws the resin into the lay up. This helps with difficult layups, as you can pull vacuum before starting resin flow.