HybridZ

E31 head, what is needed to make it perform?

pjo046

It costs about $3000 in labor to make an E31 into something that can flow enough to make in excess of 300HP on a 2.8L. This is by hand of course, using a reference head as a guide. Maybe a little less if you have done a bunch of them and you can recall it all from "old white guy" memory.

My head is a bubbling cauldron of next generation L-Series tricks.... if you guys only knew!cool.gif

And yes, that Racer Brown stuff is exactly what Ron at Isky will tell you as well. There is engineering involved with profiling a cam, and you can work it out on paper first!

Oh, and as Pete references my earlier post, another "Fat Old White Guy" is no longer doing L-Heads. Take BC Geroloamy off your list of places to do your head. Nathan closed up shop, and there is no more L-Head work being done by them (they weren't really doing it before, they were Harley Centric, but we had an offer they couldn't refuse so they did two heads--Nathan and his Dad when Nathan couldn't get the numbers he wanted...)

So JeffP has the last two heads done by Nathan, and his Dad (the guy who did the porting you see in a lot of the "How to Hotrod" book)...

Slover's Porting in L.A. is still doing them, maybe Mike will do one for ya. The last few people I steered their way seemed really happy with the results.

Edited by Tony D

The porting of the datsun head is alive and well lol , we have not stoped trying to make them better and trying new things all the time and our new heads with moved guide and long rocker as well as new chamber shape will be out soon , we have the port up to 380hp now for the n42 p90 , and with the new water mods there realy coming along ,

I have seen the moved guide heads; I have one here in the shop that I am working on turning into a canted valve head...I really am having a hard time getting the garage-port flow figures I want out of the exhaust port. (homemade flow bench...)