HybridZ

identifying turbo 1976 280z

buzznhalf

guy i met today thru my dude adam ( dudes first import, were the mechanics) just bought a 1976 280z turbo. this turbo set up looks dead on factory but since there was no L28et in 76..... he bought it in great shape for alot less than i think just the body was worth. kid said he just put a new mani on and that it has a new valvecover gasket. well also said to have a timing and starter issues. it had timing issues alright. like listed in the thread a few down titled "cam damage" this one is so bad it has no lobe just where the followers were on all but one oddly. head looks redone with heavy duty springs and retainers, possibly manley by the looks. cam has CWC in it also...

now since it obviously has been modified given it has a 5spd, turbo kit, and cam with spring kit. where do i look for codes and what codes mean what? cause i don't know if it still has a 2.8l in it because i think i seen e88 on the head.

There is a great sticky thread on the top of this page for all the different heads. It gives names, years, and pictures. Should prove useful.

it was helpfull as thats where i identified the e88 head. today is for identifying parts so we know what were working with.

turbo kit is odd as it has a rajay turbo unit with draw thru holley 4bbl and the intake says Turbo Z really big, its aluminum and the inlet faces down to the turbo. has cast exhaust mani. we want to get it to run like it should with the turbo, were sure the followers and cam need replaced but some cam metal has probably made its way somewhere as alot is missing to the point of some missing lobes. even with engine problems it was worth what he paid.

Guest 280ZForce

yes, i have 1 of those intake manifolds laying around my garage, although I don't plan on using it... it's not a turbo tom. It's an early BAE-Style Turbo Conversion from the early 70's, meant to be used w/ the typical 4 barrel carb setup as a draw-through turbo setup.

Yep, that's a BAE Aftermarket Turbo. The tow rig I just bought was from an engineer that remembers doing some 'debelopmental and research work for BAE on Datsuns'. My partner giggled a bit and suggested 'BRE' and I corrected him that 'No, there was a BAE as well, they made turbo kits for all the S30 series: 240, 260, and the EFI 280Z.'

Wow, an old Deltagate! Cool. Rajay Turbo as well. Definately old-school!

Too bad you seem to have the deriguer 'CWC Cam Billet Death from lack of ZDPP in the oil'... Bummer.

Looks like aftermarket spring retainers...Odd. That turbo kit is a neat period piece.

yea, The cam fucked it all. IDK The valve spring retains look a little scuffed as you can see from the pictures whoever installed them didnt have the right tools mainly a spring compresser.

We decided to rebuild the engine and use the turbo kit since it is a old school peice. Jerrys idea he is the owner of the car. When I did a cyl leakdown test I was only loosing about 5% through all 4 so the engine sealing wise was in great shape. Bad valve seals though.

Pretty much stock bore the cyl. walls are in great shape, taper is well within acceptible limits. Already check the block for cracks and the block deck for flatness. Everything is comming out good.

So pretty much just a straight rebuild, hot tank, hone, new bearings, seals, pistons, rods, rings, all new gaskets, Im going to redress the valve seats, and find a new cam.

So the next thing I have been trying to figure out is what cam to use with the E88 head.

I know KA CA and SR first time really getting hands on with a Datsun.

So if anybody has any ideas of what turbo cam would be decent for the E88 head then shoot some at me. Any ideas would be great

We are keeping the stock compression, stock valve size, not going to bother with going oversized valves, I will be port and polishing the head, and the block and head are within spec for flatness so I dont have to do any milling.

L42 Block stock pistons, E88 Head stock valves, with upgraded springs retainers and one crappy cam.

Hey.. There are two different E88 heads (actually three I think but two of them are virtually identical) and the biggest difference is in the combustion chamber. This difference SIGNIFICANTLY alters the answers to the question you have, as the volume is slightly difference and the shape is wholly different (closed chamber versus open.)

I cannot tell from the photos which E88 head you have, but it almost looks like it might be the earlier, closed chamber head. To answer definitively.. Does the cylinder head firing deck have a round, circular recession describing the piston bore that makes up the combustion chamber or;

Does the combustion chamber form a "heart-shaped" recession that leaves a flat surface, crescent moon-shaped, on the manifold side of the head?

Pics will answer.. closeups of the individual combustion chamber at a couple angles please?

And to top it all when I was taking the valves out. The inner valve spring on CYL. 3 Intake valve was broken. Every single valve seal was trashed also. It looks as if the spring retainers were hitting the valve seals because of the impression on the top of the valve seal which conerns me on the clearance end.

There are four different E88's. Looks like buzznhalf has the 44.7cc open chambered E88.

Thanks for chiming in with a definitive answer... I had thought from the original pictures that it might be a closed chamber head, but these definitely show it to be open. It COULD be milled a touch to give you a bit of a quench pad on the side, but then you might get into valve clearance issues.. I would run it as-is and let us know what you think.