HybridZ

solid rearend install info!!!

stony

Ok im pretty sure im going to install my own damn cage and rear axle..... these people in alaska want way to much to do it... or maybe im just a cheap bastard. i have a bunch of questions for those who have experience.

#1... what are the minimum tools required. I allready have a craftsman mig (no gas), grinder, drills,

what i want to get is a cutoff saw to cut pipe clean and at angles, sawzall, a couple more jackstands, a couple more pairs of vice grips fro welding,

ok next is what and where to start first. for example before i cut anything what is the best way to ensure the car is level, where on the car to take measurements to get axle centered.

as far as the front frame rails go i want to cut them right before they start the bend up into the engine compartment and weld in stronger square tubbing of similar size. then run them back to the rear frame and connect them together. i will prabably narrow the rear frame a bit for the hell of it.

ok this is where all you expert types start giving me all kinda of recom :D mendations rockon.gif

Check out Chris Alston's Chassiswork web page on backhalfing a car. Don't buy a chop saw, get the little metal cutting horizontal/vertical band saw from harbor freight. They run about $159 and it is much better than a chop saw IMO. Decide what you want for a rear axle and suspension and make a good plan. You won't regret the plan... I narrowed a GM 8.5" 10 bolt from a '79 trans am for my buddies 550 hp 427 small block S10 truck using a custom built jig. He is running an Eaton diff and Moser forged axles with c-clip eliminator kit. An early jeep Dana 44 might work with narrowing.

RB26Z: Regarding your question(s) about doing a solid rear end...I just ordered a 4-link rear clip with a cut down Ford 9" rear from Art Morrison in Washington, State.. I did quiet a bit of checking prior to choosing them over Alton, Comp Eng, and several others. The AM pricing was also about $1000 less than Alton, and when I spoke to their customer svs rep...it was all high pressure sales...not very impressive. Dan @ Morrison was very helpful, sent a brochure, product information and I was impressed enough to pop for a 30 min video, which explains it all in detail. Everything from back-halfing the car, installation and setup for measuring and fitting the rear clip, sheet metal and tubbing thru rollbars fitting and installation right up to and including fuel cell install. The video and Dans helpfulness is what sold me...the price savings, heck that was just the iceing on the cake! Give them a call. Ask for Dan, mention me and he will take it from there. You won't regret it...on this I am certain. Good luck with your project.

Comps, VAN