HybridZ

Jeep Dana 60?????

Guest Anonymous

An early jeep (up until ~75) will have the Dana 44. Mail jeeps maybe longer. 76 and up CJs have the AMC model 20. The only Jeep a 60 might have come in factory is a 3/4 ton J series pick up. In 1980 they added about 4" to the width for more stabililty. IH Travelall is the Internationl version of a Suburban last made in the late 70's. Not all will have the 60 I don't think, just the 3/4 tons, meaning 8 lugs and full floating hubs. It will have to be narrowed, have new housing ends installed for integral flange axles, and you will have to pony up for the custom axles, all brake parts will have to be replaced as well including backing plates and drums. A 60 is also MASSIVE compared to a 44. FYI, the C4 Corvettes with manual trans (except '84) and the Dodge Viper both have modified Dana 44 center sections. I built a jig for an 8.5" 10 bolt to narrow the housing. We chopped 3 1/2" off either side of a '79 Trans Am rear and installed it in my buddies '93 S10 with a 427 small block. Still under construction, but the 8.5" 10 bolt is stout. I put gears and a spool in another TA 8.5" in my friends '68 Firebird. It runs 10.40's on the motor and has over 100 passes on it. It does have 33 spline Strange axles and c-clip eliminators. The 10 bolts can be had for about $150 in the bondyard, $250 if you want a posi with decent gears, and $350 for a '79-'81 with disc brakes. Typically costs $150 to narrow a housing, $300 for axles, and if you need gears and a limited slip it goes up. Figure $1000 for a budget narrowed rear axle.

I have a Dana 44 out of a old US Mail Jeep, (pre-75). It measures 49" hub to hub and came with posi, 3.73 gears and Spicer axles. Stock, it can handle everything up to a race motor. It can be upgraded using Richmond gears, aftermarket differental assemblies and axles. Hope this helps!

Mark 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Standard Z is what like 56" hub to hub or there arounds? You might look at a mustang 8.8, it'd need some strengthening too if your running like slicks, but its width might be close.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

What is the width needed to run 10.5" tires on a 77 280Z. I haven't done any measurements

yet I am just trying to make all the right decisions first. Right now the car is about 220 mi. away from me so any help is big help.

77 280Z

355ci SBC

Dart Heads/ Preformer RPM air gap int.

nice cam good motor

Goal: 10's on motor

Come-on, do the math! If a stock Z measures 56" hub to hub and you use a Dana 44 @ 49" hub to hub thats 7" narrower! Hm... lets see, 3-1/2" per side to play with... Wow if you tub the car, which is necessary, you can easily run 10" rims, and possibly up to 12" wide rims!

Mark 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

I've heard a jeep mail truck rearend is the right width to go under my 77

280Z, w/o narrowing? Is this true, would solve a lot of my problems.

Also what is causing my Z's rear alignment to get so far out. Right now the

rears are toed-in horridly, and I have so much postive camber its insane.

/ view from top for toe-in, / view form rear positive camber,

(exaggerated) /

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmm, anyone confirm what the actual hub to hub is on a Z? That'd be cool, even if the datsun was more like 54", a pair of bolt on flares might give a guy room enough to put that in without tubing the car. I still have this notion that a person could put in a live axle without backhalfing the car by using the same attachment points scottie did on his vette irs swap. You'd use the stock strut towers and just get a coil over with a stud type mount on top like many shocks use, create a plate on top to bolt to the datsun 3 bolts in the strut tower, two links going forward for the 4 link system (connected to subframe connectors going forward to pick up the rear of the front frame rails) and call it a day. Either a diagnol locating link or a wishbone type could be used in the center. Thanks for that measurement on that jeep rear, now if we can only get that hub to hub measurement.. Ahem, someone I KNOW has to have they're rear wheels off, howzabout throwing a tape from hub to hub in the interest of science. :D

Regards,

Lone

There is a slight chance you will not be using the stock Datsun 0 offset wheels with this swap :rolleyes: so why limit yourself to a hub-to-hub measurement that matches the Z exactly? The important measurement is the from the outside edges of the tires positioned as far out as possible without rubbing the fenders. E.g., late Cobra and Z-28/TransAm/Vettes have wheels with about 6" BS. That is about 3" more BS ON EACH SIDE than a stock Z wheel. What does that mean? The solid diff can be way wider hub-to-hub than a Z and still fit with those wheels. Since you will be cutting off all the solid rear stock attachment points and redoing them for the Z, you basically have little restrictions.

As for needing a DANA60, you don't. I am running a DANA36 with Hoosier QTPs. The DANA36 is equivalent to the R200 (8") and we know the R200 is not a weak point. The DANA44 ring gear diameter is slightly (and I mean slight) larger, but the R&P is beefier. That is the difference.

The mail truck is definately narrower than the ordinary one.

Mike C is correct that NOT all IH T-alls had Dana 60s and they would have to be narrowed. However, they aren't all 8 bolts and they are semi floating in the 5 lug version. Semi floating just means regular type rearend if your wondering. Maybe this shouldn't get out as more street rodders will be grabbing them. They have the large Ford bolt pattern. I can hook you up with one if you need it: $250 + shipping. Dana 60s backed up the elephant motored (Hemi) Mopars in the 60s-70s so they'll hold what you can give it. The Mopar version goes for up to $1100.

Guest Anonymous

Good point Scottie about the larger backsets they're using now (compared to back in the day that is). I guess the figure would be as you say the donor's outside trackwidth or potential trackwidth using the rims you like. That probably open up many donors. If a 8" ford will do, I know the early fairlane/ranchero was like 57" wide hub to hub, if you could find one, theres even a 9" from the versailles that has disk brakes but they're getting to be rare as hens teeth, but its narrow like that, they like to put them in Maverick swaps.

Someday perhaps I'll have to look into it as I do plan to eventually swap out the IRS for something else.

Regards,

Lone