HybridZ

sealing gouged oil pan flange

rossman

I bought this turbo oil pan off ebay awhile back. Of course the guy says nothing about the gouges. It amazes me how careless and dishonest people are sometimes. I'm wondering if I will ever get it to seal. I have a fresh Nissan gasket. I thought of filling the gouges with epoxy and sanding smooth. I dunno, any other ideas?

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have no brazing skills so that option is out. I could take it somewhere and have it brazed but it may be cheaper to just get another pan.

Would you guys recommend RTV only or RTV + gasket? How about gasket + Permatex Hylomar? I had good luck sealing a leaky oil pump flange with Hylomar.

Cheers,

Ross

If you are concerned, I would soft solder it with 50/50 solder. It can be done with a propane torche. 50/50 solder is still available at stained glass stores. Clean the area well and use a good flux paste. Use a folded cotton pad that has candle wax rubbed on it and wipe the area just before it cools and it should require limited sanding.

Hylomar is GREAT stuff, that OUGHT to do you A-OK.. One thing I have always liked the thought of (its been HIGHLY recommended to me by someone I trust a great deal, he says it works great with his old subaru motors) is to take a new cork or paper material oilpan gasket and coat it thinly with RTV with your finger on both sides of the gasket, and allow it to cure before setting the gasket onto the pan and using it.

Hammer down the gouged area a bit, file it down a little bit, and then do that, AND using hylomar, should be MORE than enough.