HybridZ

Diesel Performance

AkumaNoZeta

Hey everybody. I've thought about having a diesel engine in my Mustang for a while but never looked into it because I couldn't live with being under 3000 RPMs all the time. Then today I youtubed it and saw this

It runs tens and the info on the side said it got 33MPG getting there so it kinda intrigued me again. I'm not motivated enough yet to research anything, just got a general question. Can the RPM potential be increased? What's limiting it and would about 5000 RPM be doable? No details needed but articles about it would be cool

Diesel engines aren't balanced as they would be in a gasoline engine. so first would be to balances the crank and internals of the engine in question. Maybe a lighter flywheel.

I think thats as far as you can get to raise the rpm on an existing affordable engine. The reason why they are able to get higher rpm is because of direct injection. they can affect ignition timing by when the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, unlike the tradition injection, where the valves does it.

Also you can try turboing. thats probably how they got such high HP out of the duramax.

Hey everybody. I've thought about having a diesel engine in my Mustang for a while but never looked into it because I couldn't live with being under 3000 RPMs all the time. Then today I youtubed it and saw this
It runs tens and the info on the side said it got 33MPG getting there so it kinda intrigued me again. I'm not motivated enough yet to research anything, just got a general question. Can the RPM potential be increased? What's limiting it and would about 5000 RPM be doable? No details needed but articles about it would be cool

Hey-

Diesels are designed primarily for torque at low RPM's, not high end horsepower. Especially diesel truck engines. There are diesels out there that turn higher revs, but in the states you would be limited to getting one. Diesels are very long stroke engines, with low end torque as the goal of the engine design. Mercedes has current diesel engines with 4 valves per cylinder and CRI (common rail injection) which is basically electronic fuel injection for diesels that turn upwards of 5000 rpm I think. Very quiet and smooth as well since they are designed for a car, not a truck.

If you get one of these engines from a junkyard you would need the ECU and wiring harness as well. They won't be cheap. As far as truck engines go, Dura-max and Cummins Turbo diesels are in the junk yard as well, and late model types are also CRI type motors. You would need the transmissions as well to go with them. There are lots of tuning bits out there for these motors as well to get more power out of them too.

Basically if you want more power out of a diesel you don't need to turn it higher, just install a bigger turbo and re-calibrated ECU to go with it ( Banks engineering has kits ).

Diesel engines aren't balanced as they would be in a gasoline engine. so first would be to balances the crank and internals of the engine in question. Maybe a lighter flywheel.

I think thats as far as you can get to raise the rpm on an existing affordable engine. The reason why they are able to get higher rpm is because of direct injection. they can affect ignition timing by when the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, unlike the tradition injection, where the valves does it.

Also you can try turboing. thats probably how they got such high HP out of the duramax.

Hey-

Actually all diesels are direct injection, only air is going into the intake manifold and thru the valve.

The attracting figure is that they usually run 16:1 compression, don't they? And they're built strong so they can probably take a lot of boost and I don't know if diesel fuel has the octane limitation like with gasoline so that maybe you can run like 50 lbs off a turbo and still refuel at a common gas station. Just guessing there because I don't know.

The attracting figure is that they usually run 16:1 compression, don't they? And they're built strong so they can probably take a lot of boost and I don't know if diesel fuel has the octane limitation like with gasoline so that maybe you can run like 50 lbs off a turbo and still refuel at a common gas station. Just guessing there because I don't know.

Hey Grim-

Compression is very high, I think around 22:1 or so, Diesels love turbos. But of course you can overdue it as with anything. But in general the rods and crank are much larger and heavier for strength. Diesel fuel (basically kerosene) has totally different burn compared though compared to benzine. Although the new Diesel fuel has the sulfer removed from it for emission purposes. GM is actually working on a new modular Diesel that has unbelivable technology in it coming out in a few years or so. I will try to find the link again and post it, great reading.

Check this out:

http://jalopnik.com/347346/2010-45l-duramax-diesel-has-shockingly-brilliant-design

I didn't think I would be this interested in it. I have an all new respect for diesels now...I don't think I'll put one in my Mustang buy my friend is talking about selling his 383 S10 for a Mustang so maybe I could talk him into putting a diesel in that, lol.

Hey Grim-

This will really blow your mind. Just to show you the potential of what the Diesel is now able to do.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2823/article.html

All diesels are direct injection. The trick to diesels is to add more fuel, which creates more boost, and then retard the injection timing. If you can you lower compression and turn up the fuel even more to get more boost. That is all you have to do to one to get insane power levels out of them all at low rpm.

My 400 big cam 3 cummins has teflon and ceramic coated pistons, 17:1 compression, +2 size injectors, series 4 Holset high altitude mapwidth enhanced turbo (series 3 is stock), dual fuel line kit (feeds the front and back of the heads instead of just the back), retarded cam timing -.080 where -.070 is stock, turbo boot, recalibrated fuel pump. I push 270lbs of fuel pressure (stock is 170lbs) at wot with just a wiggle of the big toe. It'll push 36 pounds of boost (stock is 24lbs of boost) at around 2200 rpm which is 601.2 fwhp. It's getting 500 rwhp and the pyro won't get over 750 degrees! I can take off from a dead stop on the high side of the transmission and use the top 5 gears. It'll spin the tires going around a corner on dry pavement if you hammer it. It drives like a car and is fun to drive. Pulling big loads is a dream but it does suck the fuel. My mpg's went from 8 to 5mpg.

Not ALL diesels are direct injection.

Almost all diesels for years were indirect injection. This does not however mean that the fuel was injected at low pressure into the intake runners before the valves as in gasoline cars. They inject fuel at high pressure (not as high as DI injectors though) into pre-combustion chambers in the heads. The idea is that the turbulance created by the transfer from precup to combustion chamber ensures good combustion.

Im not really sure why but the IDI engines seem to be able to rev higher than the DI ones. There are some guys with the old VW 1.6TD engines who are able to get 6-7000 rpm out of them and making around 200hp (which doesnt seem like much but it is triple the stock output). Those rpms haven't been achieved with the newer 1.9TDI engines that I know of.

Ok, lets say you completely rebuild a diesel engine. You completely do over the head with solid lifters, get a custom crank that under-squares the bores and all that. Would it rev quicker and higher? Would it still be able to be 20:1 compression with boost? Or would that not benefit at all and completely eliminate the reason for having a diesel?

A bunch of wankers. :-)

You need a two stroke diesel with two superchargers and four turbo-superchargers:

http://www.dieselforecast.com/ArticleDetails.php?articleID=307

ahh, I remember that.

friggin thing has jet tires on front, and 747's in the rear.

lmao, a truck so heavy and fast it needs parts from fighter jets and passanger jets to get rollin