HybridZ

Can I paint a intercooler

Noddle

As SweetLeaf said, use radiator paint. I have used this stuff on a radiator and it is a very thin paint, but still has great coverage. Th looks is also a semi-flat look. Good luck.

Also, have you gotten pulled for showing an intercooler? I just couldn't see gestapo pulling you for having a front mount, unless you were boostin' around town like a mad man and they used the intercooler to spot you.

As SweetLeaf said, use radiator paint. I have used this stuff on a radiator and it is a very thin paint, but still has great coverage. Th looks is also a semi-flat look. Good luck.

Also, have you gotten pulled for showing an intercooler? I just couldn't see gestapo pulling you for having a front mount, unless you were boostin' around town like a mad man and they used the intercooler to spot you.

I haven't fitted it yet, I'm trying to keep it looking standard, I suppose I'm wanting a bit of a 'sleeper' I.E , looks like it's got no go.. but a nice surprise

when I stick my foot into it, and I'll be less likely been pulled up by the cops wanting a look under the bonnet (hood)

Nigel

The Stefan-Boltzman law covers this but at a higher level then I care to research.

It also applies to black bodies (bodies being the natural color and not a covering)

That said, all of the radiators I see at lexus and toyota since they went over to aluminum are not painted.

The 1986.5 to 1992 supras use an intercooler painted black.........but they were painted at the factory.

Painting an intercooler that has even experienced the least bit of exposure to the elements would probably net you flaking paint and I'll bet toyota went to extreme lengths such as the proper primer, and possibly dipping it to ensure it didn't flake off.

Now if you just want to make it less visible, you can probably get away with "dusting" it such that only the cans and just the very front face of the fins get's paint while leaving the other 99.9 percent of the surface area of the fins unaffected.

I wonder if they have those laws in Tasmania, I'm not quite sure.

I don't think so, I have never had any of my cars or anyone else I know, had their cars tested for pollution.

I would say Tassie is probably 5 - 10 years behind the rest of the world in technology for the general public.

But it is a nice place to live.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

Things black in color tend to absorb heat. At the same time, they also tend to release heat much faster than lighter colors when they are hotter than the surroundings (intercooler or radiator in this case)

Take a look at most stock radiators, oil coolers, and intercoolers. There's a reason why they are black in color.

Most bar and plate intercoolers are painted to begin with....at least most Ebay ones are. They are brazed together so if they arent painted they look horrible. They do a good job with it though and it usually not noticeable....but take a close look at your core and I bet its already got a pretty thick coat of paint on it. My treadstone one definitely did. Most of it burned off when I powedercoated the tank and I brushed the rest off and put a light coat of flat black on the core.

verticle_IC_012.sized.jpg

If your doing it to hide it check out my install above, you basically could see it unless light was shining directly on hte front of hte car.....except the blinging t-bolts.