HybridZ

Engine wont run

1979280zx

Uh...

First off - there is a troubleshoot section

A turbo motor needs a crank angle sensor - your motor has it on the balancer, you need an 81 Turbo ECU and AFM. These are all very neccessary.

Use the search button its over there on the top in the blue strip --->

Uh...

First off - there is a troubleshoot section

A turbo motor needs a crank angle sensor - your motor has it on the balancer, you need an 81 Turbo ECU and AFM. These are all very neccessary.

Use the search button its over there on the top in the blue strip --->

im running the motor na wit all my 79 stuff

In that case, prepare to be very disappointed in the performance. But as for your problem, it's hard to tell what's wrong without some more indepth trouble shooting. Are you getting spark? Fuel? Fuel Pressure? Injector Power? Timing? What do the plugs look like? Details man details....

In that case, prepare to be very disappointed in the performance. But as for your problem, it's hard to tell what's wrong without some more indepth trouble shooting. Are you getting spark? Fuel? Fuel Pressure? Injector Power? Timing? What do the plugs look like? Details man details....

its getting fuel an spark dont no fuel pressure or injector power but getting new plugs to see if that helps

I may be way off here, from my reading a NA Distributor will not work on a turbo engine. The connection to oil pump is different. To run what you have you need to change the oil pump to a NA pump.

Please correct me if I am WRONG!

I may be way off here, from my reading a NA Distributor will not work on a turbo engine. The connection to oil pump is different. To run what you have you need to change the oil pump to a NA pump.

Please correct me if I am WRONG!

I believe your right..

A lot of confusion in some posts above.

The engine management system doesn't care that the car has turbo hardware until you run out of injector flow rate.

I know......I'm currently running turbo hardware on non-turbo ecu and harness and it's fine under stock boost.

First thing to do is have someone crank it while you use a timing light and see if cylinder 1 fires when it is supposed to.

If not, you will have to remove the oil pump and index the shaft properly.

A timing light is a great diagnostic tool overlooked by many. I also use one to determine where noises come from and to see excessive runout on moving parts.

Are you sure the car has fuel pressure?

Are the plugs wet?

The answers to these two questions will mean very different problems.

If you find your fuel pump is not running while the engine is either running or trying to run...........check below.

Depending on the model year, there are 3 fuel pump schemes on the N/A cars alone and that's just on cars from 1981 to 1983.

Some have one relay, some have two and some have three.

I don't have wiring diagram of the 1979 system and I believe they use the e12-80 module which means less ecu integration concerning fuel pump operation.

I believe (but not completely sure) that the 1979 system uses both the alternator and oil pressure switch to ensure fuel pump operation.

That is where you should start.........if the fuel pump does not continue to run once the car is started.

It uses these to determine whether the engine is turning rather than in the turbos and later ecu types which won't energize the fuel pump relay(s) beyond the initial prime until the ecu sees a good crank angle sensor waveform.

I don't think the 1979 has a microswitch in the air flow meter to energize the a fuel pump relay like the 1975 to 1978 cars....but it might....don't remember.

If the plugs are wet and you have a cylinder head temp sensor (not all zx do), clean the terminals.

Another thing (if there is no switch in the air flow meter) is to unplug the air flow meter and throttle switch. The car should idle without these.