HybridZ

Oil Cooler Question

Zeero

So I did some searching and I found that a lot of people are using a 2nd gen rx7 (fc) oil cooler. I am in the position of picking up a newer rx7 (fd) cooler for free.

Does anyone know if it is a decent cooler? Has anyone used one? I know what I need to get it to fit and work, I just would like to get some input on the FD cooler.

This is the one I will be getting:

DSCN2124.jpg

Thanks!

They are apparently a very efficient cooler. My friend is an rx7 guy and he says that the guys that try to bling up there cars by adding an aftermarket oil cooler that there oil temps go up. I have one sitting in my storage unit. I need to get it cleaned out and then plumb it in.

I believe the one in the picture has a thermostat like the early rotaries I had in my RX2s.

I think if you unscrew that bolt near the fittings, you should find a bypass/thermostat there.

Back in the early 80s I had many a discussion on oil versus water temperature on Improved Touring RX-2s with the Kearneys who ran at summit point.