HybridZ

Just thought i'd share my observations on the KA24DE-T

Slow_Old_Car

I'm going to be building the motor that's in my current DD 1992 240SX.

It's an SE hatchback in pretty good shape. I did a compression test and all cylinders were at 185psi or above. :)

It's a nice car but could use a little more power, I ran across a T3 turbo from a Merkur for basically nothing but the cost of a rebuild and decided "Why not?".

I'm going to be building the motor that's in my current DD 1992 240SX.

It's an SE hatchback in pretty good shape. I did a compression test and all cylinders were at 185psi or above. :)

It's a nice car but could use a little more power, I ran across a T3 turbo from a Merkur for basically nothing but the cost of a rebuild and decided "Why not?".

Ken, 1 count it, ONE autox and you bought a turbo. What happened, Makenoskenokaskosy ribbing us about Pax got you didn't it. I think you will like it much better with power. You need power as much as I do. See you this weekend. I got more weight on the back tires but how? Let's just say I can be my own backseat driver.

Ken, 1 count it, ONE autox and you bought a turbo. What happened, Makenoskenokaskosy ribbing us about Pax got you didn't it. I think you will like it much better with power. You need power as much as I do. See you this weekend. I got more weight on the back tires but how? Let's just say I can be my own backseat driver.

Yeah Mike, like you I need POWER!!!! :)

I like the SX but once the revs go above ~4000 it sort of falls over, so on goes the turbo (hair dryer). It wasn't the single auto-x that convinced me I wanted to turbo the car, that was the plan from the beginning. I just wasn't going to do it this soon, actually it will probably happen next winter. I want to finish the stuff I plan for the Z so I can auto-x it next season rather than the SX. I also want to use this season in the SX to improve my driving skills, rely less on the HP and more on the driving to win.

Mr. Makenoskenokaskosy didn't have much influence on my decision. Yes it bugs me that he beat me in PAX :roll: (PAX is for wimps anyway) but considering I was on almost bald tires and in a new car I didn't do to bad. If I had been able to keep my last run clean I would have beat him in raw time by almost 3 seconds and PAX by almost a second.

I'll have my new Kumhos on this weekend so he better watch out.

So, will you be back seat driving the SX or the Z?

Can I be the front seat driver? :)

What class are you running? Or do the mods you've made force you into XP?

SX for now. I have the longest steering wheel extension known to man. I am keeping it SM. They changed the headlight rule so pop up's can be changed. I took out one and it weighs 9 lbs but I need to put back at least 3-4 lbs with the new set up. Is a total loss of 10-12 lbs worth the trouble? Not sure I will change that or not.

I want to work on the Z. I like the balance and feel of it very much. I sure didn't move the weight that I thought I would, with the SR, but it is still 50/50 with me in it. I need to decide on springs and struts. The way it hooks up is a great thing. Wish the SX was even close. This whole spring thing is nuts. I just can't decide on rates. There is too much variance with good results. A 150/150 does about the same as a 650/225 on the same type car. I need more study on it I guess. Stiffer seems to be the new way but 750's on the front of a car with 1200 lbs in front just doesn't make sense to me.

I think I may try 10 inch 225's on the rear of the SX. The car with 450/300 has NO roll at all even with no rear bar and the stock front one.

Mike,

I replaced the larger rear bar that was on my SX with the smaller one you sold me, it made a big difference in the way the rear end hooks up. There's a road I use here to test suspension changes, I used to be able to easily kick the rear end out in the corners, now it just hooks and if I push hard enough I actually have a little under steer. It'll take little getting used to, the Z is setup pretty loose and so was the SX, but I think I can be faster with this setup. In fact, now I'm thinking I want to find a stock 280 rear bar for the Z, see how much it'll tighten it up.

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, straight T3.

The specs on the one I have are as follows:

Compressor A/R .60, Turbine A/R .63

Compressor trim .59, Turbine trim .69

I'll have to check the trim values when I get home but I know the A/R values are correct.

I need to correct the trim specs (apparently I wasn't wielding my caliper correctly).

The correct specs for the wheel trims are:

Compressor - .60 trim

Turbine - .70 trim