HybridZ

Just thought i'd share my observations on the KA24DE-T

Slow_Old_Car

Tonight i had the chance to help a guy get his megasquirt system running on his 240sx, which was outfitted with a forged piston/rod KA24. With great e-mail support from Matt at DIY we had gotten things sorted out.

So after getting it to fire off, checking the timing to confirm it synced to the motor and computer, then fixing a vacuum leak... we put it on the dyno.

This was a 9:1 motor with a precision SC61 on a weld-el log manifold with a simple FMIC. The megasquirt wiring was pretty straight forward to, in one instance it was actually the exact same as L series wiring for MSnS-E.

Anyway, back to the point, he wasn't familiar w/ MSnS, i was, so i was asked to tune it. I punched in the basics for the motor, then gave it a rough stab at the initial maps before asking him "What is tonights goal?".

The answer i got back was "i'd like at least 300". So i had my target.

Long story short, less than an hour later the car was making 310hp/318tq to the wheels..... at 12psi.

I'm fairly impressed by these 4 cylinders. I'm not familiar w/ the motors nearly enough to believe my timing map was anywhere near efficient, and the fuel tables i know still have holes in them since i was having to read from the dyno's wideband and couldn't log directly into MS.

I don't follow the KA vs. SR wars or any of that, but what i saw tonight was a 2.4l 4cyl, that spooled it's turbo by 3500-3750rpm, and revved to 7500rpm, so half of its powerband was in boost. Making exceptionally good horsepower at a low PSI on a self admittedly rushed/rough tune.

If there is a way to bolt a VG30 trans to one of these, they could be quite a fun little bang for the buck motor in a S30.

Glad to see you have discovered the Nissan 4's. My little SR20DET is still putting down 400whp and getting 33 mpg. It starts without fail and the only issue I tend to have is occasionally, I have a hole in something. I daily drive it at 18-21 psi and it hits full spool at 2800 rpm. I have blown vacuum fittings off my intake manifold. I have also blow a couple of holes in crappy intercooler elbows. Other than that, changing the oil and adding some gas every now and then, it is maintenance free.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I have some experience as KAT's as well, a friend threw one together awhile back, pretty much a half *ss build, but that thing pulled very well, the ebay turbo leaked, the couplers wouldnt hold, and the top end didnt feel to great... but with all that in mind I was pretty impressed.

Same guy is doing another KAT build only this time its legit, actually we just fired that car up a couple of days ago and it sounded great, just waiting for a driveshaft. Im pretty excited for it.

Expect some KAT vs. l28et vids!

Not exactly ultra-low-budget stuff, but check out the Full Race 3071R kit. 425whp at 14psi on their example dyno run, which is easily manageable boost on pump gas.

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1759

Seeing this makes me reconsider a V8 swap in my S13.

$3400 for just a turbo, manifold, downpipe and wastegate? Even if I had that kinda cash, I'd avoid that just on principle.

Well, it kinda sucks but on second, immediate thought, perhaps considering the turbo itself is probably about $1500, I can see that. I digress.

I just finished and fired up a low budget KA24e-T track (lapping) build last fall! Great fun ....stock block, log manifold, Z31 turbo..used E-manage. ...no intercooler.... yet! ( have a ebay used rb IC sitting in the wings) Stock ECU and injectors should run about 6-7psi.....

Invested a total of $350. At this point I plan to run as is just to see what happens. Then the intercooler injectors and such will go on.

Current goal is 200-225 hp. Final goal is 300hp.

The early cars were non-OBD but if you find a Stanza ECU its a diect plug in and OBD capability can be had.

Great econo fun....first lapping day is comming fast for Mosport in May!

Just picked up my used ebay RA1s from a spec miata car,,,,even the tires are heat cycled!

Sorry will stop the rant now.....got carried away......... :cuss: .....:hijack:......:oops: my bad.....

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry,

Which exhaust manifold did you use?

I recently picked up a 92 240SX and am collecting parts to build a KA-T.

So far I have a T3 turbo from a Merkur, .63 A/R turbine housing and .60 A/R compressor. It needs a rebuild but the wheels are perfect and for $50.00 I think it was a pretty good deal.

Anyway, I've been looking at exhaust manifolds and so far the one I like the best is the log style from JGS Precision, but $400.00 is more than I really want to pay.

Did you build your own or get a used one?

I'm going to run Megasquirt.

I have an MS2 and plan to run the Extra code in it so I can play with the built in over boost protection and boost control.

Could you post some pictures of your engine bay that show the manifold and how close the turbo is to your brake master cylinder and booster?

Jerry,

Which exhaust manifold did you use?

Could you post some pictures of your engine bay that show the manifold and how close the turbo is to your brake master cylinder and booster?

I used the Gladman manifold. A fellow from www.ka-t.org makes them. Its a cast log unit, pretty decently made and I bought mine from ebay for about $250. The turbo hangs down and the only fit problem I had to deal with was to turn the engine mount around 180 degrees. Otherwise the Z31 turbo would not fit. He was surprised so my guess is it wont fit large turbos. I also have a couple of RB20 turbos and plan to try one after I test the car as it sits.

If you visit thei KA-T site they have a few other options now.

Im traveling on business right now and will take a few pics for you this weekend.

Thanks Jerry,

BTW: Aren't the RB20 turbos T25s or T28s? I know the Z31 unit is a T3 which is what I have. If I'm correct about the RB20 unit the flange on your manifold will be to large.

I should be clear that the T3 I have came from a Merkur.

Wheelman

z31's never saw a t28, i don't know where you got that information from, but if someone told you, you should smack them.

early (84 and maybe? 85?) had oil cooled turbo's (hence the turbo scoop) these were t3's, and boosted at 6.7psi stock.

86 and ALL of 87 (not until 4/87) had t3 turbo's that were water and oil cooled, boosting to 6.7 psi

88/89's had t25's that were oil and water cooled. these boosted somewhere in the region of 4.5-5psi.

the t3's in the earlier cars were by NO means laggy whatsoever, why they went to a pea shooter t25 is still beyond me.

Jerry,

No hurry man, I did some searching on KA-T and NicoClub for Gladman, it appears the manifolds he built are for a KA24E, mine is a KA24DE so probably wouldn't work. It also seems he no longer fabs them.

I decided to pick up a cheap bottom mount tubular manifold I found on ebay. I haven't received it yet but as soon as I do I'll let you all know what I think of it.

I don't plan to sart the build until next fall/winter so it'll be a while before I can report on fitment.