HybridZ

Home built ariel atom?

rustrocket

Looks like a Toyota motor.

Engine test fit

Engine test fit 2

Any idea which?

I can't imagine welding something like that up!!! Keeping everything straight - one wrong move and the headache!! I read a Lotus-7-esque DIY book, and it recommended that if you do weld up a frame, that you do several and sell them. Wonder if that guy is going to make a few extra :D

Looking at the roll hoop, I think I would have used double hoops. If tracking, a set of roll cage tubes extending down to the front of the Atom as well. Not a whole lot there when overturning, and I would NOT want to be trapped ala Richard Hammond.

yeah, his hoop scares me a little

2248693385_2a9b4732a4.jpg

looks like it would collapse on a roll over

what IS crazy though, is he built the entire thing without any measurements from a REAL atom, so not only is this a home built atom, it's a home built, one off custom replica of an atom. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and 35mpg. he used a bunch of scrap parts too, which is pretty cool. but still....that hoop bothers me lmao.

I bet he built it for pretty cheap too. a lot of the parts are all recycled (like the engine and I'll bet all the electronics, came from teh same crashed RSX)

he designed the entire car in cad, and he has an image of what looks like his frame if he went into a side impact.

Take that to a track day, and I would be MUCH more worried about rolling it that being T-boned.

Designed on CAD? Nice!

I took a look at his cad pictures description, and it's a cad model of an ariel atom that he used as the basis of HIS frame. but he never took any REAL measurements from a real car.

I'm impressed that a fairly young guy without a ton of automotive knowledge could sit down and build himself an atom on the cheap, using many scrap parts, (including an old kayak for the front bodywork) and have it come out so good. He did it in a very short timeframe as I remember. (6 months?)

I wouldn't that concerned about side impact, those main tubes are pretty darn beefy. A Z puts the driver in similar amounts danger in a side impact IMHO, you just fleet more protected because there is sheetmetal and glass "protecting" you.