HybridZ

Pete's cool dif mount

cyrus

Vibration and harshness are not bad. My only complaint is that the noise when gear lash is taken up. I have a brand new 3.545:1 open R200 I bought a few years ago ($300) and I may someday swap an LSD into it to get rid of that. The gear lash take-up noise is my only real complaint about having spent so much time and money on the car and having something that's a bit "rough".

Small differences in backlash won't make a gear set wear any more quickly. They are designed to work within a certain range, and as long as you stay in that range you will be fine. This can be verified with a dial indicator and confirmed with gear marking compound. One danger in modifying the setup with gears that are run in to each other already is the possiblity of introducing a "whine". Usually not much of an issue, really. I haven't really experimented with the r200, but you should be able to find a clean one cheap if yours is worn out. I've even toyed with the idea of trying to preload the side gears by increasing the thickness of the spider gear bushings and having a "pseudo" Phantom grip. Having blown up somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 half ton truck 12 bolts (they REALLY don't like 35" tires...) I have done both new and used gear sets, swapping housings and diffs multiple times. They are really pretty forgiving all in all. All told I think I have put together more than 25 diffs now including 3 in a mid 10 second Firebird. (And no, nono.gif they didn't blow up, he just kept chaning his mind. 28 spline posi and 3.42, 3.73 with 28 spline spool and finally 4.10 with 33 spline axles and a spool.)FWIW, torque is the name of the game with the big Poncho (462), and with each gear change, the car SLOWED DOWN. With 3.42 and a 2800rpm converter it ran 10.69 ~125. He's probably spent another 10k looking for the 9's and he's stuck in the 10.30's. Something to think about if you do end up building a larger displacement "torque" motor. I really like working with the hypoid gear sets, they are quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, sorry I didn't get back to this thread.

My Z has one of those hen's teeth 300ZX 3.7 LSD diffs. It's not really bad, and I'd be afraid if I messed with the gear lash it'd whine. I might try it if it gets to be annoying.

I also wonder where the slop really is. Since it's a clutch type LSD, I'd think the spider gear preload would be taken care of. Maybe it is slop in the axle splines inside the diff or the spider gears to the case shafts.

Was the gear slop noticeable when it was out of the car or just in the car? In the car there is a ton of other variables that can give it the appearance of excessive play. Do you still have u-joint style half shafts, I can't remember. If so, the spline in them can introduce a lot of apparent "slop" in the diff. Also, there is just some play to begin with. .003 to .008 is significant, honestly. Especially without any fluid in the case. I'm always amazed when I set up a diff how large of a rotation there appears to be. This seems to be a perfect example of "if it ain't broke..." :D

CVs (280ZXT).

The slop is noticable between the halfshaft and the driveshaft. I know there's a bit more slop in the driver's side CV inner joint than the passenger's side, but you can see that the CV "socket" on the driver's side (that's attached to the splined axle) moves a good bit relative to the driveshaft. Not hateful, but I'd love to have less slop there - it takes away from the driving experience.