HybridZ

not all T-5's are created equal

David K

Ive been chatting with some of you on AIM and email about what tranny i think is cool for your high horsepower app. I admit i dont know everything, or barely anything about transmissions, but i will share something i learned about T-5's while i was into 3rd Gen Camaros a few years back. I had an IROC.

There is a tranny called the t-5. they are good transmissions, but some people will disagree with that. The t-5 came on the 5 speed Camaro, Mustang, and as we all know the 280zx turbo. I dont know what other cars they came on, but im sure they are aplenty.

I would like to discuss the World Class T-5. I was going to do this swap when i had my 89 IROC. I know it will hold up to high HP better than the regular T-5. Better than me telling all of you fine people what it is all about (if you dont know already), i would like to share this link with you. http://moderndriveline.tripod.com/moderndriveline/id14.html

That is good material to learn. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Yes the WC T-5 is a hot ticket. Some of you have told me you didnt know that the t-5 came in the camaro. Here is a link from v8rx7.com about the Chevy application T-5.

http://v8rx7.com/trans.htm

also another thing that has been on my mind (remember i dont claim to know much about trannys). Im wondering if a WC T-5 can work on a 280zxt L28.

No. The World Class T5 was available in Ford and GM cases with appropriate input/ouput shafts. I have also heard it was the trans of choice in the 3.8 powered 93-2002 6 cylinder cars and that this GM trans is basically the Ford. Not verified. The Nissan input shaft is significantly different than the other trans in spline count, diameter, and lenth. The early Ford T5 had a 3.27 first gear while the GM had a 2.95 first gear. Smaller the number the stronger the gear. All World Class trans should have the 2.95 first gear. The Nissan T5 has a 3.5 first gear which is awesome for the NA motors IMO. Other differences in World Class vs non trans are WC: paper cone syncros, bearings under speed gears, tapered countershaft bearings, ATF. Non-WC: brass syncros, bushed speed gears, caged non-tapered roller bearings on countershaft, 75w90.

As I noted above, the paper cone synchros of the World Class T5 need ATF. The earlier NON-WC transmissions used 75w90. I have 3 non-WC trans, one Nissan and 2 GM, and poured gear lube out of each. My one WC trans was full of ATF in addition to the decal on the side that side "USE DEXRON II ATF ONLY" I have heard that it is OK to switch to ATF in an older trans, but I cannot verify that for sure. The reason they wnet to ATF was the switch to the very small bearings on the speed gears from the bushings. They needed a lighter vis fluid in order to adequately penetrate to the bearing surfaces in these very small openings. That was what I heard at least...