HybridZ

Stock R180 LSD?

mikezcar21

1st post ever so bare with me. I do nothing but read and read all the posts and yes I always use the search function but haven't had any luck on this question. Is there a LSD that I can put directly into my stock R180? I am looking for the easiest way to get power to both wheels and am trying to avoid doing a whole swap out of my rear drivetrain. I am not dragracing so there really isn't a need for me to move up into an R200. Can you guys please help me out. Thanks in advance. Also can you help me out in telling me where to get one if there is one available?

The problem is that the early R180's have a different ID to the ring gear than a later one. So you have to make sure that the LSD you buy is for the early style and they're harder to find. Later if you add the LSD to the 3.36 stock diff and then decide to install a 5 speed or anything else, that 3.36 is not going to be a desirable ratio, but any other ratio you get will likely not fit the LSD that you purchased.

For a stockish 240, I'd suggest upgrading to a ZX 5 speed and a 4.11 diff from later 240SX (K housing) with the LSD added to that.

Right now there are only three options for new LSDs in the R180.

1. Quaife ATB HLSD that will fit the 110mm and 115mm ID ring gear.

2. OS Giken Super Lock CLSD that will fit the 115mm ID ring gear.

3. OBX HLSD that will fit the 115mm ID ring gear (I'm not positive that this is available for the R180).

Both 1 and 2 are around $1,500 each new and installation is $250 to $400 depending on how much work is needed. Both diffs are also pretty amazing units and I've run the Quaife behind my racing 240Z and I'm currently running the OS Giken behind my 350Z. The OBX is discussed here in a thread and is a good lower priced option.

There are used Nissan Motorsports and Precision Gear CLSDs that pop up for sale from time to time along with used Quaife's and Torsens.

Right now there are only three options for new LSDs in the R180.

1. Quaife ATB HLSD that will fit the 110mm and 115mm ID ring gear.

2. OS Giken Super Lock CLSD that will fit the 115mm ID ring gear.

3. OBX HLSD that will fit the 115mm ID ring gear (I'm not positive that this is available for the R180).

Both 1 and 2 are around $1,500 each new and installation is $250 to $400 depending on how much work is needed. Both diffs are also pretty amazing units and I've run the Quaife behind my racing 240Z and I'm currently running the OS Giken behind my 350Z. The OBX is discussed here in a thread and is a good lower priced option.

There are used Nissan Motorsports and Precision Gear CLSDs that pop up for sale from time to time along with used Quaife's and Torsens.

Hey John can you please tell me and others how to find out what size ID gear ring we have? You listed a 110mm and a 115mm, thanks.