HybridZ

Radiator question

I'm going to be picking up the JR kit and book here real soon which I know covers cooling in great detail. But I've got a lead on a a few good V8 radiators that I don't want to miss out on if the right application is available. Was wondering if someone could tell me what to look out for? Possible key makes and years? Avoid XYZ at all costs....that kind of stuff.

LT1 engine....

should be good for approx. 500hp...

Thanks!

most specifically, this one..

Gmc Pickup Ck Sierra Pick Truck Ck 1500 96-1996 Radiator 7.4 V8

I would expect a 7.4L application would be big enough to keep mine cool, but what about cooling direction? Does that matter? I know the LT1 is backwards, but I dont know the ups and downs about that.

No clue on the truck rad. The biggest issue is size, there is not a lot of room in our cars. You can get the dimensions at http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Radiator_Kit.html.

I tried fitting a 94 Z28 rad from my donor car, wasn't even close. Seems like the JTR manual said somehting about an '86 chevey rad. But the price of JTR's radiator is a deal, its aluminum you get the brackets and fittings and it fits. The LT1 does run backwards. I have the thermostat fitting on the water pump going to the bottom rad fitting on the passenger side and the top fitting of the rad on the driver's side going to the other fitting on the water pump. Do some searching here, you need the fitting for the steam pipe on the LT1 plumbed in or you WILL have major cooling problems. You also need to vent off the air in the heads when you fisrt fire up the LT1 or again you WILL have major coolling issues.

most specifically, this one..

Gmc Pickup Ck Sierra Pick Truck Ck 1500 96-1996 Radiator 7.4 V8

I would expect a 7.4L application would be big enough to keep mine cool, but what about cooling direction? Does that matter? I know the LT1 is backwards, but I dont know the ups and downs about that.

One other thing about the LT1 you should know early. Depending on what car your engine came from you may be too many hose fittings on the water pump. If you have an F-body engine you will need to remove and plug that bottom right hose fitting.

lt1_water_pumps.jpg

LT1WaterPump.jpg

For venting off the air in the heads download this doc and follow the instructions. Its tough getting the air out, you may have to do it several times but this works.

http://www.dejavideo.net/280z8/CoolantDrainandRefill.doc

For some insite on how to plumb in the steam pipe from the heads there are several methods mentioned in this link.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120241&highlight=lt1+water+pump

Dale

Great info. I guess I'll just plan on getting the kit.

THANKS!