HybridZ

Need help quickly - looking at building a 408, but would it be too much?

Okay fellas, I've been battling this back and forth. Long story short, I've been wanting to build an LSx 408 to put my Magnacharger mp122 on. Looking at other builds, I should expect to be in the 800hp range, but the torque will be instant, having roughly 85% torque by 2500 rpms. Similar build with a 404ci:

I have a contact that's selling his built LSx 408 out of his show camaro for a killer price. It features:

LME 408 ci iron block (late model engineering, Houston Tx)

lunati pro billet rods

lunati 4in crank

custom wiesco nitrous pistons 4.030 bore 11/1 C.R.

ARP main studs

ARP 1/2in. head studs

o ringed and reciever groove

copper head gaskets

LME ported oil pump

custom camshaft(specs givin to buyer)

morel hydrolic lifters

AFR judson port, big bore heads hand ported @ LME(355cfm,258cfm exh.) machined for reciever groove and 1/2in head studs

Dual springs good to 660lift

custom pushrods

Jessel rocker arms

6.0 iron block machined for 1/2in head studs,line honed,bored to 4.030,decked,o-rined

stock f-body oil pan

front and rear covers

stock valve covers

If he sells it to me he will keep the pistons, since I'll be changing them anyways to lower the CR. I'll probably be changing the camshaft as well, since it's a custom nitrous cam.

He's wanting to know how serious I am with purchasing the engine before he puts it out for other potential buyers, and I told him I'd let him know shortly.

I don't know if it would be foolish of me to purchase it...if I can't get it to hook with that much power, should I just go with a stock block and just add a head/cam package to yield roughly 550-600hp? Would 800hp and instant torque be too much for my little Datsun widebody project? I'm planning on running some 315s in the rear on 17x10.5 wheels, with one of the stickiest compounds I can find, but I don't know how much it will help.

Anyone have any advice? I could really use it right now...

A bit of everything, actually. I'll run her on the streets most of the time, but I also plan on taking her to the drag strip as well as the local circuit track. This Datsun is supposed to be my big, bad one. All my other Datsuns have been mild power builds (roughly 350rwhp being the most), so I planned to go all out on this one. I wanted to build it right the first time so I wouldn't regret the power being made. For example, I thought the stock T3 would be plenty of power for my '72 240zt; it was great at first, but over time I kept increasing the boost more and more. Now I'm demanding more than the T3 can provide, so I'm building a larger hybrid turbo. Although it's very easy to just swap the turbo, it's still the same concept. I don't want to "get used" to the power too quickly and then regret not building the 408, but then again, if it's just going to make the car stupid to drive, where I spin out any time I try to get on it, then there's no point to it, and I'm better off sticking with just heads/cam. I'm hoping some of the higher hp guys will chime in.

The rest of the drivetrain is a 3.69:1 R-230, and a built T-56.

I'm not sure 800 will be enough!!:D If it's a deal too good to pass up, jump on it if you have the cash. You will regret it if you don't.

Hey this is HybridZ, I doubt you will get many responses telling you any amount is too much.

You could always do a throttle stop on the thing and gradually dial in more throttle. I bet it would be wide open inside a week.

Have fun

For 800+ you'll need some serious rubber to meet the road to get it down and to stick.

I'd be all over that though, blown 408 would be killer

I'm looking at Nitto 555Rs, BFG R1s, or some Mickey T Drag Radials...

Now I'm wondering how much I'll need to upgrade the fuel system. I keep pondering, I'm sure 550rwhp would be more than enough in that little car, and I could keep the injectors that came with the blower, wouldn't need to worry as much about the tires (although they're still important), not to mention thousands less. On the other side, you don't see a blown 408 Datsun too often, much less a blown 408 in anything.

Anyone see this as a bad/stupid/foolish idea?

How much power is Darius's new setup making? I can't really find too much information on here about it.

So 3 for go and 0 for no, huh? That's hybridz for ya, I guess. :-) Yes, I'm definitely planning on chassis reinforcement. For some odd reason, I got behind a slick C6 Z06 on the way home with the license plate "BLUFFN", and now I want to go for it...don't ask.