HybridZ

280zx turbo oil pump rebuild

tech9

There is an old trick we used to do with the standard Z oil pump that worked out very well. You remove the fastener remove the spring place 4 small stainless steel washers behind the spring the same diameter as the spring or slightly larger (ACE Hardware has them). This increases the pressure to the oil pump of the standard oil pump above what the turbo pump has.

Side note generally there are two things that go wrong with the oil pump. 1. the spring fails and it does not pump as much oil as it should. 2. The pump simply gets worn out and oil pressure drops.

I've just heard a lot of people say to get a new pump rather then reuse the old one. I guess I can check tolerances on the old one and it should be OK.

You can do a clearance check on the pump and make sure everything is ok. Thats what I did on my rebuild because I knew the pump worked just months before so it should work now. Next oil change/EDIS 6 install I'm buying a new one though as I will have it off to trim my dizzy spindle.

I have a Black Dragon Automtive catalog that has the turbo pumps for $50 + $7 shipping. I'll get the PN for yah when I get home if you want.

I'm still curious what the difference is between the standard and turbo pumps? Besides the increased pressure, does it flow more at a given rpm? Given the turbo engine has the extra oil flow to lubricate the turbo, that would make sense. But is that really the case?

Another way to ask this is if it's necessary to swap to a turbo oil pump when converting a NA to turbo?

The turbo Automatic pump had the longer gerotor assembly to compensate for the oil cooler and tubing used on that model.

Elsewhere in the world, most of the turbo motors got the larger pump as they had the oil cooler assembly wether they were automatic or not.

It does not have increased pressure, but flow. The Nissan Motorsports "High Pressure Spring Set" was actually from the LD pump...

There are specifications somewhere, but as a rule with any pump, the longer the compression section, the more flow it provides, regardless of RPMS...it's just a matter of physics.

The pumps are still readily available and cheap because of their existence on the KA series engines I believe. I know the oil pump gasket is the same on a KA and an L...

I don't know of anybody NOT running a Turbo Pump.