HybridZ

header or turbo?

Mobious5

mayby someone could help me out with some advice.

i have an NA 82 that i was thinking about boosting but affraid of doing so with stock internals even though i heard it was possible, but with low boost.

soo i was thinking about slapping some headers on it maybe to gain alittle power.

My question is, is it true i could put a stock turbo, manifold, and oil pump and be fine under low boost. if i went the turbo route?

Or if i went the header path, what headers would sound best? and what is the largest size piping should be ran with an NA car?

thanks

oil pump the same. need fuel pump, ecu, injectors, pistons, exhaust, dizzy just to name a few. If you can't find a donor car or buy a turbo then do a few things that help out. Better intake system (k&n filter). Larger exhaust, headers, free flow muffler. My 83 got a few more ponies with that. Do a complete check and tune up. Timing, plugs, new ignition wires stuff like that. Take all the connectors apart in the engine compartment and clean them well. Drop some weight there are things you can do without radically altering the vehicle.

guess this means turbo would be a better rout than just headers right haha

would doing it right mean putting turbo pistons and valves in before boosting? wouldnt have to wory about the dizzy?

which brings me to ask this, does anyone no why, between the to l28 model engines, (turbo an NA) is alot of the this different? Like the turbo dizzy, turbo oil pump, even turbo fuel pump and coil?? wtf

If you have the money, get an after market ecu install it and learn it.

When you have learned that, then you can turbo charge that na, with far less possiblity of damage.

Yes you can turbo charge the na with the na pistons, compression will be higher, then a turbo engine, 7.5ish vs. 8.5ish.

Injectors will have to be the frist upgrade if you want to go above 3psi or so.

EDIS is a Ford ignition system

Megaqsuirt is one of the more popular 'stand-alone' ECUs on this site, you can purchase one at http://www.DIYautotune.com, it takes a lot of reading up before installation, be sure you know what you're getting in to.

'Plugging in' a ZXT ECU and doing the stock ZXT EFI swap is doable but not tunable.

Oh, and please click the link in Challengers signature for your Turbo swap :)

disregard all that is said about how easy it is. Even for experienced wrench there are a lot of things to plan on and money to spend. Sure you can do all those things but how much patience do you have to see the project through. This isn't a couple of weekends it is many days of tedious time consuming work. As I said at first if you find a donor turbo car then the process is fairly straight forward which will give you a running vehicle. you can then experiment with aftermarket electronics, boost controllers and etc.

Go here

http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70

and read all the stickies, its a good place to start.

And you *can* do stock EFI, here is a write up about it. Once again though make sure you know what you're getting into, there were many random parts I didn't think about when I started collecting them for my turbo 'build.'

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99620

I think reading that gave me a better understanding of what goes on with the turbo wiring.

Don't give up about finding a ZXT, they'll show up eventually. About a month ago I saw two go for sale for really cheap in the same town a couple of hours away from me. Just be patient. [i waited a year until I found my first Z car]. Have fun reading!

*edit* I also found this thread very helpful - he's doing the same thing we are talking about - a Turbo Flat Top F54/P79. He's not done yet but he's got great pictures of the tapped oil pan, etc.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127833

Hold on let me find you a couple more threads

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=93&a=2

Please actually read it, I know its long but if we try to abide by the rules it keeps the site professional and then one day you can pass on the knowledge to someone else :)

And yes I am excited about my turbo swap, I probably couldn't do it without information from this site.

Guest Yeti's280zxt

I put an 82 Turbo motor into my 1980 and tried to adapt the stock harness and gave up. I then went to MSII and that was much easier to install and get started/running! I entered in some basic info I got off this site into MSII and it started on my first try! I may have gotten lucky but when I look back it was so much easier to install MS than people make it out to be.