HybridZ

R200....just being paranoid.

graphicjunkie

I've got a lead on a 78 280Z rear differential. And I've read where the R200's are tough, checked the wiki from the board member to validate that it really would be a R200 not an R180... But I pretty much just want to hear lamens terms tell me that if I buy this R200, I can put up to 500ftlbs to it and it will handle it. Because I haven't seen any real threshold numbers for torque.

Can someone humor me here and confirm what I have read, or correct me and save me the money?

Thanks!

Yea, after I posted that, I started to dig into this forum, as I don't spend as much time here as I do the V8Z forum. I just got done watching a video and reading a couple of other threads. Was going to come back here and post a 'never mind'...but you beat me.

Here's what I am about to go buy...

Complete front & rear suspensions & brakes with Eibach performance rate coil springs, kyb struts,suspension techniqes THICK anti roll bars (almost double the size of the stock ones), all those parts were on a 78z for just over 6 months. Included extras are rear diff. for a 5 speed w/new isolater, rebuilt 1/2 shafts, rebuilt drive shaft, steering rack, moustache bar w/urethane mounts.

$350!

I'm not really a drag racer, because the cost to race around here anymore is REDICULOUS! Almost $100 a day, and you MIGHT get in three runs....

I'll definately look into welding the cross pin if that's a fail point.

Thanks for the input!

Yep we found the solution, change the engine......

My brother is putting together another Nitrous motor and I am looking for an alky carb to try also and just leave the blower off for now. If both of these fail to come about we will be putting weight up front and possible wheelie bars on back. Probably run a timer also that will be triggered at a certain point to retard my timing about 10 degrees and then when it settles down it will kick it back in. The Zcar will be in paint and body prison for awhile. This will give us somethime to determine what we are going to do.

John

jnj - in the video that Braap posted you let off everytime the car lifted, have you found any solutions to that?

[And here we have a good example of how there CAN be too much horsepower :) ]

The front support that the rack / steering bolts to is bent some. I guess it is from the bunch of abuse from the front end hitting. I have a hook welded under the car on that support which is longer than the oil pan etc. All the hits that hook has taken has bent that support / brace.

Other than that no other damage........

We do run a front motor support and a mid-plate motor support, along with baddog framerails. Also the 10 point cage, so the whole car is tied together pretty well, no flexing etc....

John

Yep we found the solution, change the engine......

My brother is putting together another Nitrous motor and I am looking for an alky carb to try also and just leave the blower off for now. If both of these fail to come about we will be putting weight up front and possible wheelie bars on back. Probably run a timer also that will be triggered at a certain point to retard my timing about 10 degrees and then when it settles down it will kick it back in. The Zcar will be in paint and body prison for awhile. This will give us somethime to determine what we are going to do.

John

John, you forgot to mention the twin turbo setup, I will be making some changes to the rear suspension, to keep the car from hitting the tires so hard. ( leaving so hard) The car put down a 1.31 60' tripping the timers with the back tires. John, will be painting, and I will be working on the rear suspension, getting it ready for PINKS ALL OUT, and DNI in Renolds,G.A. Jerry