HybridZ

Shade-tree aero

I wish I would have come across these threads some time ago. I have been string testing my mods at the track for awhile, some have worked, some haven't. I have to stay vintage legal, so mods must be "subtle". Vertical rails trimmed for aero drag, but horiz ones left for aero stab; front/rear windshield "support tabs" with just a "little" left over; underhood air evac vents with tab (tested very well); frontal area reduction grill with rad support/hood blockers; passenger side plexi with NACA; NASCAR style airbox. More to come...

aerodynamics 008_thumb.jpg

aerodynamics 005_thumb.jpg

aerodynamics 004_thumb.jpg

aerodynamics 001_thumb.jpg

airbox 006_thumb.jpg

there is some pretty cool stuff there. I'm kind of surprised the ram air you are running the hose you have feeding the air box is big enough. VERY smart idea though.

On my 240 I campaigned on hill climbing, I let the hood come up about 3 inches to let air come out from under it. At rest it sat flat, but at speed it would come up against the latch.

The roof of the car is a large wing with smooth un interupted air going over the top of it, LIFTING the car.

If you ask the small airplane boys, they say a heavy frost causes crashes because the wings won't work with frost on them.

If a fellow had a really crummy paint job, or maybe some magnetic stickers all cut up...........

The other thing I believe in is SAFETY, so I am thinking about putting a LARGE WIDE brake light on the roof just in front of the rear hatch. Some might call is a roof mounted spoiler, but I'm more interested in the SAFETY aspects of it.

Very creative, the underhood evac vents with tabs you say tested well, any idea if the tabs helped? Because I was thinking that a raised section in front of a bonnet/hood vent would help with air extraction.

Mentioned in my thread on the 280ZX.

Richard,

I believe this is a very common application of a gurney flap. Alan Thomas has a pic floating around somewhere of a 70s race S30 with gurneys preceeding the bonnet vents.

Their job I believe is to angle the flow upwards in order to assist in sucking the air out of the vents? Or sometimes perhaps (as in following pic) they're using tumble to their benefit or something?

Zytek04S-PM3.jpg (http://www.mulsannescorner.com/rey02s.html)

Note this is even in addition to the outwards exposed saw-tooth vents, and is labelled as the ``high downforce configuration''.

Dave

Thanks for the replys, guys. The lip in front of the exhaust holes seemed to work. I string tested the right side without the lip and the left side with it. The side without the lip had strings moving in and out of the vent holes, the side with lip always flowed air out of the holes.

Just about anything on the upper surface of a wing will decrease lift, I like the idea of the "safety" third brake light. The nose is my biggest problem, and I'm planning a complete refab with ideas gleened from the air tunnel data. Once my vintage legal Spook spoiler mod is complete, I'll do another round of testing.

• 4 weeks later...