HybridZ

Help! 1981 n/a 280zx wont start

jays280zx

what color smoke? and how much oil did you put in? did you gap the plugs and or they the right kind?

the plugs should be BP6ES-11, the gap should be (1.0 to 1.1 mm) or (0.039 to 0.043 in.)

the oil, if you changed it while the car was warm, should have been close to 3 3/4 qt.

its also more likely you knocked some kind of connection or sensor lose if the car does not even sputter

the smoke was white. i tried to start the car this morning and it ran for about a second and died. The car has run for about a year since i bought it. The previous owner had it sitting, but started it about once a week to keep it running. Im going to try to start it again tomorrow.

the smoke was white. i tried to start the car this morning and it ran for about a second and died. The car has run for about a year since i bought it. The previous owner had it sitting, but started it about once a week to keep it running. Im going to try to start it again tomorrow.

one idea on the smoke, is it cold outside? cars smoke after cranking in the morn and Z's seem to more than others (or its just that they are old)

im still sticking with the loose connection/sensor

• 2 weeks later...

It could be the temp sensor like stated above, I'd also make sure you hooked the wires back up in the proper order.

153624 CCW from the first plug to the left of the clamp that is nearest you.

1stGenDist.jpg

The motor would most likely run if it had a bad head gasket...

I agree with flatback. I just spent over 2 months banging my head against the wall trying to find a problem and I skipped the most basic thing because I was sure I was right. I replaced heads on my car,my wire looms slipped and #2 and 4 wire got crossed the car ran didnt pop through carb or exhaust started fine but didnt feel right. #2 and 4 header tubes werent getting hot because I had wires tightened in looms I didnt checjk them at this point I tell you get very close to the screen DONT FRICKEN DO THAT!!!!!!! I had a guy that built heads for nascar and every one at summit and jegs stumped as well as dart and msd. all over a stupid wire loom!!!

Ok Im stepping down from my soapbox by the way I took my friend for a ride after finding this problem when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd he was screaming like a little girl Uncle Uncle slow this sob down