HybridZ

Cut & Die OEM Shifter for Short-Throw

misterZ

Hey-

I did mine, but it is time consuming. I cut the shifter shorter (actually a little too short, wished it was about an inch longer) and then used a bench grinder to grind down the diameter to where a die would fit.

You need to keep dipping the shifter in some water to cool it as you grind off metal to keep it from getting hot. Try to keep it round as possible, and the threads will look nice in the end. I also made a brass bushing for it. It shifts super tight and smooth. You can see a photo of it on my cardomain sight on the second page. This was before I put the leather boot on it.

You guys are talking about a shortened shifter, right?

A true short-throw shifter raises the pivot point (like the ones MSA sells):

group201050g.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to cut a 1-2" section out then weld the two pieces back together? No die cutting needed.

The first thing I do after I buy a Z is shorten the shifter :mrgreen:

I put a KA conversion in my 240Z. The stock 240SX shifter was too tall and sloppy. My fix was to cut that shifter off below the rubber damper and weld on a shortened upper half of a type "B" shifter. My shift knob just barely clears the interior leather boot. The shift is tight, smooth and it looks correct with the small diameter lever instead of that grossly fat 240SX version. It beats the heck out of paying dearly for an aftermarket shifter.

Wow Scott, that is short... dog, I currently have MSA's short-shifter but want my original shifter cut down about the same. There is a head shop around the corner from me so I might ask if they can do it `cause I'd screw it up for sure.

Oops! My mistake...sorry guys. I guess I fell into the trap in Scott's siggy -

"Assumption is the mother of all F..ups. " :lol:

The stock Z shifter knob thread is a tiny 8mm. After cutting to length, the thicker, middle portion of the shifter lever diameter has to be turned down to the M8 thread max diameter (7.972mm), before you can run a die down and cut new threads. Unless you have access to a lathe and a well-stocked first aid kit (turning that wiggly S-shaped piece of steel almost guarantees a split knuckle or 2) try this:

Drill a 17/64" hole down the end of the handle and thread the hole with a M8 tap. Then use a M8x1.25 stud (be-headed bolt) to attach the knob.

The stock Z shifter knob thread is a tiny 8mm. After cutting to length, the thicker, middle portion of the shifter lever diameter has to be turned down to the M8 thread max diameter (7.972mm), before you can run a die down and cut new threads. Unless you have access to a lathe and a well-stocked first aid kit (turning that wiggly S-shaped piece of steel almost guarantees a split knuckle or 2) try this:

Drill a 17/64" hole down the end of the handle and thread the hole with a M8 tap. Then use a M8x1.25 stud (be-headed bolt) to attach the knob.

Here, here...that's a man who has spent some time in a machine shop!

There's actually a much easier way that an old school guy told me when I was attempting to buy the die for the shifter:

Cut the shifter, and weld an M8x1.25 bolt upside down to the end of it. Totally simple, then just grind down the edges of the bolt so the shifter can slide over it. I had only a little bit of welding experience, and I was able to accomplish the entire task in about 15 minutes with a MIG welder and a bench grinder.

[edit] (of course i'm assuming you have access to a welder!!) [/edit]

Also you can do like I did and use an M10 x (?forgot?) so you can use the 300zx shift knob!

my mates and i used to do simple back yard short throw shifters for our various cheap cars.

you get 2 sticks (because if you get 1 and use your one, Murphy will destroy it) and cut the little knob off the bottom, then on the other shifter, you cut half the knob and shaft off. Weld the longer peice onto the bottom of the stick you only cut the knob off, and then simply space the quadrant box up higher with a peice (or a few peices)of alloy plate.

moving the pivot ball higher than origional accomplishes the shorter throw, but then you just trim the stick down to a suitable length, and re thread for the gearknob.