HybridZ

complete restoration on a 260z

last week i bought a 260z. it is in bad shape. it needs a new drivers side tail light, hood, the inside of the hatch needs to be cut out and replaced, i need an automatic transmission, a new engine, new floorboards, paint...... and i have no idea what else untill some friends of mine and i start taking her apart. i also have no idea how much this will cost or where to look for best prices. i dont need a mechanic, my friends will do all of that. i just need to get the parts to fix her. if you can give me names of places to look and prices, that would be awsome.

You know Raven, that car sounds less like a candidate for "complete restoration" and more like a candidate for "berserk buildup".

I'm not trying to be snide, but you picked the wrong place to ask about a restoration. This group worries more about traction control than most guys worry about erectile dysfunction. We have the wrong mind-set. For instance, here's what the typical HybridZ member actually thinks as he/she reads your note:

Your words_____________Our translation

Needs new tail lights = "JDM all around!"

Bad Hood = "cut hole for blower"

Hatch Needs Work = "Pantera! Pantera! Pantera!"

New Floorboards = "12 point cage"

Needs automatic transmission = "what'll take 700 ft-lbs...?"

Need New Paint = "Taffeta Silhouettes!"

Needs New Motor = "Small Block!"

or

Needs New Motor = "Big Block!"

or

Needs New Motor = "ARRRRREEEEE BEEEEEEEEEE!, he11s yeah!"

Take heart, though - you've picked a cool car, though perhaps not the most perfectly appropriate forum. And if you do lose your mind someday, perhaps with delusions involving a couple of turbos, limited slip differentials, or megasquirt mpfi's, we're your boys!

You know Raven, that car sounds less like a candidate for "complete restoration" and more like a candidate for "berserk buildup".

I'm not trying to be snide, but you picked the wrong place to ask about a restoration. This group worries more about traction control than most guys worry about erectile dysfunction. We have the wrong mind-set. For instance, here's what the typical HybridZ member actually thinks as he/she reads your note:

or

or

Take heart, though - you've picked a cool car, though perhaps not the most perfectly appropriate forum. And if you do lose your mind someday, perhaps with delusions involving a couple of turbos, limited slip differentials, or megasquirt mpfi's, we're your boys!

LOL. You just made my day....

where would be a better place to ask? lol. what i need is a "Z Cars for dummies" book. i have no idea what im doing.

Classiczcars.com

Word to the wise....sounds like you need to start with a cleaner car :icon45:

Resto will cost you over 15K....maybe!

We have the wrong mind-set. For instance, here's what the typical HybridZ member actually thinks as he/she reads your note:

or

or

Nice.

"This group worries more about traction control than most guys worry about erectile dysfunction."

Haha it's because with plenty of power and traction, ED is not an issue...