HybridZ

Tremec TKO2 install

jeffp

Well I have been looking into installing a TKO2 in my car so I can really be confident with a good launch and not make a bunch of tranny parts in the process.

The TKO2 almost fits the car exactly for the most part, except the shifter is 3" forward of my stock T5 unit. I considered moving the engine back and spacing the tranny at the bell housing, but looking at the T5 and where the input spline fits into the bell housing, clutch, and the pilet bushing I cant space it waay from the tranny, so that makes the shifter still to far forward to get it into the car and not hack the car away. I am not going to hack the car away to install this unit, so I called TTC and was given a number to a shop that does mods to the tranny. I spoke to the owner and it is looking like right now that they can move the shifter back to a position I need to fit my car. I haven;t gotten a quote on the mod or the tranny from them, but if it is not to high a price I think that is the very best way I can go with this thing. Anyway, hopefully it will work out that I can do this mod and not modify the car to get it installed. burnout.gif

There are really two issues to work out on the tranny. The first one is the size of the input shaft into the pilet bushing. The TKO part is .020 bigger then the T5, but the shop that is doing the work is going to make a roller bearing to make up for the larger part. The second method, and it is not hte best method, is to turn the .020 off the input shaft, but the shaft is case hardened, so the new pilet bushing is the best way.

The second thing is that the throw out bearing needs to be machined out .015 to fit the TKO collar, not to hard to get done. I am not to worried about the bolts as The bell housing can easily be drilled if the bolt pattern is different. The critical thing is that the tranny will mate and not be off center and put a bind on the input shaft, but that is not a problem as the bearing retainer (nose cone) is the samd diameter as the T5 part, so the alignment of the input shaft is not a problem. I have already had a custom clutch made for the car for the T5, so all I need to do is send in the disc, and have the shop change out the hub to fit the TKO spline. The last thing is the cross member and that I can make myself, but I have to check how the stock part will fit, and if not I will make a new bracket. The drive line will be 3" and I am going to run the 300ZXT flange off the diff and use a spicer mating flange with the 1310 universal joint on both ends of the drive line, making it very strong. I will say tho, the stock Nissan stuff has held up to 475 foot pounds of torque to this point and that is very good. I just dont think that if I put a set of tires that really bite the road like wrinkle wall slicks the tranny will hold up. I have already done all the work on the rear of the car, shot peened the axel stubs, I have a new Quaife just waiting for install, and I am confident the CV type half shafts will be just fine in the car, but who knows I could be wrong, but I dont think I am.

The real challenge is as I said getting the shifter back so it is not hitting the radio and dash. Anyway, I am hopeful this will turn out very well, and since I know of a mustang that is running a 9.18 in the quarter I dont think I will break the tranny.

I will keep all of you posted on what the outcome is with this one shop, and who knows maybe some of you will want a setup like it. Thanks for your input and suggestions for shops. It's coming together, slowly, but I think it will be an excellent setup on all accounts when I get all of the mods completed I want to do on the car. The turbo should be done here by the end of the week, the dampener is almost completed, the electric water pump is almost completed so the rest is down hill. :D